Rugby World Cup: Saracens’ Emily Scott misses out with injury
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Saracens fly-half Emily Scott has been forced to withdraw from the England Women’s squad for the Rugby World Cup in Ireland due to injury.
Clubmate and hooker Vicky Fleetwood has also sustained a minor injury and will remain in England to undergo intensive rehabilitation over the next few days before joining the squad at a later date.
Scott will be replaced in the squad by Poppy Cleall, who has won 12 caps so far and featured in all of England’s matches in their Six Nations Grand Slam this year.
Coach Simon Middleton said: “While it’s disappointing Emily, we know she will rehab diligently, working closely with our medical team over the coming weeks and we hope to have her fit and ready on standby if required later in the tournament.
“With Vicky remaining in England for the time being, we have opted to call up Poppy, who offers us a bit more balance in the forwards.
You may also want to watch:
“We have full confidence in Poppy, who has been training with the wider squad.”
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 5 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 8 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 9 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote