Rugby Union: Uncapped Nathan Earle one of eight Saracens players in England squad for Six Nations
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sarries stars Owen Farrell, Alex Lozowski, Maro Itoje, Nick Isiekwe, George Kruis, Jamie George and Mako Vunipola also named
Uncapped back Nathan Earle is one of eight Saracens players to be named in the initial England squad for their Six Nations opener against Italy next month.
Earle is joined in the 35-man squad by club colleagues Owen Farrell, Alex Lozowski, Maro Itoje, Nick Isiekwe, George Kruis, Jamie George and Mako Vunipola.
Sarries wing Earle has been rewarded for a solid season to date as he continues to develop into an international-class player.
The 23-year-old was called up to the senior squad for their tour of Argentina last summer, but has yet to make his full debut.
You may also want to watch:
After naming his squad, England head coach Eddie Jones said: “I have selected the strongest available squad to prepare for our opening match against Italy.
“It is important we start the tournament well and we will spend the next two weeks training smart and really fine-tuning our game plan for the Italy match next month.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
“I am expecting a really positive training camp in Portugal and while we have a few players unavailable through injury or suspension, it has provided opportunity for others who will be desperate to be involved in the Italy game.”
England begin the defence of their Six Nations title in Rome at 3pm on February 4.
Squad in full, outside backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Inside backs: Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).
Back five forwards: Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Front row forwards: Lewis Boyce (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).