Rugby Union: Uncapped Nathan Earle one of eight Saracens players in England squad for Six Nations
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sarries stars Owen Farrell, Alex Lozowski, Maro Itoje, Nick Isiekwe, George Kruis, Jamie George and Mako Vunipola also named
Uncapped back Nathan Earle is one of eight Saracens players to be named in the initial England squad for their Six Nations opener against Italy next month.
Earle is joined in the 35-man squad by club colleagues Owen Farrell, Alex Lozowski, Maro Itoje, Nick Isiekwe, George Kruis, Jamie George and Mako Vunipola.
Sarries wing Earle has been rewarded for a solid season to date as he continues to develop into an international-class player.
The 23-year-old was called up to the senior squad for their tour of Argentina last summer, but has yet to make his full debut.
You may also want to watch:
After naming his squad, England head coach Eddie Jones said: “I have selected the strongest available squad to prepare for our opening match against Italy.
“It is important we start the tournament well and we will spend the next two weeks training smart and really fine-tuning our game plan for the Italy match next month.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
“I am expecting a really positive training camp in Portugal and while we have a few players unavailable through injury or suspension, it has provided opportunity for others who will be desperate to be involved in the Italy game.”
England begin the defence of their Six Nations title in Rome at 3pm on February 4.
Squad in full, outside backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Inside backs: Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).
Back five forwards: Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Front row forwards: Lewis Boyce (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).