Rugby Union: UCS Old Boys suffer string of injuries in loss at Barnet Elizabethans in Herts/Middlesex One
- Credit: Archant
UCS Old Boys had little to cheer on their trip to Barnet Elizabethans as they suffered a 24-0 loss in Herts/Middlesex One.
The first twenty minutes saw Old Boys dominate in all parts of the game, constantly attacking Elizabethans and remaining in their half for most of this initial period.
Spirits were high as, after ten minutes, fullback Nat Breakwell took the ball from within his own half and broke down the wing to the opposition five-metre line.
However, Breakwell’s attempted chip over the Barnet defence only resulted in a disappointing scrum.
Injuries were the main factor in UCS losing control of the game, with Paul Dillon and Christian Henk being forced off.
You may also want to watch:
In the last two minutes of the half, Elizabethans scored a breakaway try in the corner, but the conversion was missed as the hosts held a 5-0 lead at half-time.
There was more injury woe early in the second period for Old Boys with David Barton another to depart because of injury.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 7 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 8 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Though Turkish international Mert Zabci came on to fill the gap very ably, a turnover ball led to a further breakaway try for Barnet.
A string of UCS injuries permeated the remainder of the match, despite which the team remained in strong contention at all times.
Midway through the second half Alex Turton sustained a bloody wound to the forehead, but bravely returned to the pitch after treatment.
Later, Chris Bean, who suffered a rib injury earlier in the game, was also forced back into action with Old Boys having used all of their substitutions.
Even then, UCS had to play the closing moments of the match with 14 men having lost four players to injury during the match.
The result was two Barnet breakawat tries down the wing in the last ten minutes, one of which was converted.
Undaunted, the team took succour from the words of skipper Tom Arnold, who stressed that players had unstintingly undertaken, and would continue to maintain, their metaphorical ‘contracts’ to support their team-mates throughout the game.
UCS Old Boys: Sewell, A Turton, Henk, Dillon, Ovens, Boulden, Clarke, Barton, Coates, Esdon, Greenall, Arnold, S Turton, McAteer, Breakwell.
Subs: Bean, Zabci, Summers.