Rugby Union: UCS Old Boys give spirited display in defeat at Herts/Middlesex One leaders London Welsh
- Credit: Archant
Herts/Middlesex One: London Welsh 25 UCS Old Boys 18
A brave effort from UCS Old Boys was not enough as they slipped to a 25-18 defeat away to Herts/Middlesex One leaders London Welsh
UCSOB never once looked overawed by their opponents, who have lost just once this season, and can draw on plenty of positives despite the result.
After seven minutes of play, a Welsh forward broke through a loose maul inside the UCSOB 22 to touch down near the posts, with the extras added.
Five minutes later, Tim Hyland responded with a penalty for the visitors, making the score 7-3.
You may also want to watch:
However, an opposition penalty from inside the UCSOB 22 after 17 minutes saw the hosts regain their seven-point advantage.
Welsh’s heavier pack was impressive early on and maintained its pressure just before the half-hour mark, when a feed from a ruck enabled a try in the corner, though the conversion was missed.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 Arsenal held by Aston Villa on final day of WSL season
- 5 Belsize cameraman remembers Jim Henson and The Muppet Show
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 8 Graham goal gives Tottenham win at Birmingham in WSL finale
- 9 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 10 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
UCSOB continued to be resilient, though, and were able to close the gap to 15-6 when Hyland kicked another penalty following a high tackle.
Despite Welsh backs going on jinking runs, that was how the score remained heading into half time.
Early in the second half, though, Welsh scored their third try following a strong, driving maul, though again the extras were not added.
Unabashed, UCSOB continued to play at a good tempo and soon had their second try of the afternoon.
Following a period of possession near the line, George Sewell bundled over for the visitors to make it 20-11.
Welsh, though, had a response themselves, securing a try bonus point five minutes later with their fourth try.
It was the visitors who would have the last say, however, with Tom Arnold scoring his first of the season.
On the stroke of full time, a well-timed backs move set the skipper, playing at centre, away, allowing him to cross for his first try of the season.
The try by Arnold also ensured the away team were able to collect a losing bonus-point for their troubles.
UCSOB return to action on January 27 when they host Actonians.
UCSOB: Sewell, Bean, Henk, Oulton, Ovens, Clarke, Tootell, Turton A, Coates, Esdon, Day, Arnold, Edwards, Hyland, Breakwell, Mann, Barton, Boulden.