Rugby Union: Saracens without Richard Wigglesworth for Newcastle Falcons match after England recall
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Sarries scrum half called up to national squad for Six Nations clash against Wales
Saracens return to Aviva Premiership action when they host Newcastle Falcons on Saturday, but they will be without Richard Wigglesworth.
The scrum half was recalled to the England squad for their Six Nations clash with Wales at Twickenham on Saturday after Ben Youngs was ruled out through injury.
The 34-year-old has 27 caps for his country, though the last of those came during the 2015 World Cup.
However, Wigglesworth is set to add to that tally this weekend and is expected to be on the bench for the clash with Wales.
You may also want to watch:
And England forwards coach Steve Borthwick, who previously captained Wigglesworth at Saracens, says the scrum half’s experience could be key.
“Richard is an outstanding player who brings great experience and knowledge of the game,” said Borthwick, who represented Sarries from 2008 to 2014 — the final four years of which included Wigglesworth.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 8 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 9 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation
- 10 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
“He’s been playing at the top level for a long time now.
“Richard’s come into camp and straightaway fitted in with the players, picking up all the calls and everything he needs to do.
“One thing that always stands out for me is how fit he is.
“For a player in that position, you need great conditioning and he certainly has that. Richard’s playing well and is in fantastic shape.”
While Wigglesworth may be away on international duty this weekend, one man hoping to use a Saracens appearance to prove his fitness to his country is Liam Williams.
The Welsh flyer has recently been on the sidelines again after suffering a flare up of an abdominal injury on his return to action last month.
The 26-year-old is expected to be back for Sarries this weekend against Newcastle and will want to turn in a display to catch the eye of Wales coach Warren Gatland.
Saracens will hope to maintain their recent good form in the Aviva Premiership at home to Newcastle this weekend.
Mark McCall’s men have won each of their last three matches in the league, including a 38-15 trouncing of Wasps on their last outing in the competition.
However, that success came back on January 7, with the north Londoners having been in European Champions Cup and Anglo-Welsh Cup action since then.