Rugby Union: Saracens scrum half Richard Wigglesworth to start for England in Six Nations against Ireland
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Sarries back will start first Test for country in almost three years on Saturday
Richard Wigglesworth will start a Test match for England for the first time in almost three years when Eddie Jones’ men host Ireland in the final round of Six Nations matches this weekend.
The Saracens scrum half has not started a Test for the Red Roses since the World Cup warm-up match against France at Twickenham in August 2015.
However, the 34-year-old will start just the ninth game for his country this Saturday, and is joined in the half backs by club colleague Owen Farrell, who has moved to fly-half from inside centre.
There is another Saracens combination in the second row, with George Kruis joining Maro Itoje, while Mako Vunipola starts in the front row.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie George, however, drops to the replacements after starting against France in the absence of hooker Dylan Hartley, who is now fit again.
England XV to face Ireland: Watson; May, Joseph, Te’o, Daly; Farrell, Wigglesworth; Vunipola, Hartley, Sinckler; Itoje, Kruis; Robshaw, Haskell, Simmonds.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Replacements: George, Marler, Cole, Launchbury, Armand, Care, Ford, Brown.
• Saracens back Liam Williams will start on the wing for Wales against France in the Six Nations, with Sean Maitland doing the same for Scotland against Italy.
Flanker Ben Earl will captain England under-20s when they face Ireland in Coventry on Friday.
Poppy Cleall and Marlie Packer start for England Women against Ireland, with Zoe Harrison among the replacements.