Rugby Union: Saracens prop Mako Vunipola retains British & Irish Lions starting spot in third Test against New Zealand
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sarries forwards survives calls to be dropped after ill-disciplined display last weekend
Saracens prop Mako Vunipola has kept his place at loosehead prop for the British & Irish Lions in their crucial third Test against New Zealand on Saturday.
During last weekend’s win in Wellington, Vunipola had been sent to the sin bin during the second half and also gave away a number of penalties.
The 26-year-old’s indiscipline led to calls for him to be dropped to the bench, but Vunipola has retained in starting spot in an unchanged matchday 23.
It means the forward is joined by Sarries team mates Jamie George at hooker, Maro Itoje at lock and Owen Farrell at inside centre in the starting XV.
You may also want to watch:
Fullback Liam Williams, who is due to move to Allianz Park following the tour to New Zealand, is also included in the team to start.
With an unchanged 23, though, it means that lock George Kruis misses out altogether for the crucial clash in Auckland this weekend.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
Lions squad to face New Zealand: Williams (Wales); Watson (England), Davies (Wales), Farrell (England), Daly (England); Sexton, Murray (both Ireland); Vunipola, George (both England), Furlong (Ireland); Itoje (England), Jones (Wales); Warburton (Wales, captain), O’Brien (Ireland), Faletau (Wales.
Replacements: Owens (Wales), McGrath (Ireland), Sinckler, Lawes (both England), Stander (Ireland), Webb (Wales), Te’o (England), Nowell (England).