Rugby Union: Saracens prop Mako Vunipola retains British & Irish Lions starting spot in third Test against New Zealand
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sarries forwards survives calls to be dropped after ill-disciplined display last weekend
Saracens prop Mako Vunipola has kept his place at loosehead prop for the British & Irish Lions in their crucial third Test against New Zealand on Saturday.
During last weekend’s win in Wellington, Vunipola had been sent to the sin bin during the second half and also gave away a number of penalties.
The 26-year-old’s indiscipline led to calls for him to be dropped to the bench, but Vunipola has retained in starting spot in an unchanged matchday 23.
It means the forward is joined by Sarries team mates Jamie George at hooker, Maro Itoje at lock and Owen Farrell at inside centre in the starting XV.
You may also want to watch:
Fullback Liam Williams, who is due to move to Allianz Park following the tour to New Zealand, is also included in the team to start.
With an unchanged 23, though, it means that lock George Kruis misses out altogether for the crucial clash in Auckland this weekend.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 5 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 8 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
Lions squad to face New Zealand: Williams (Wales); Watson (England), Davies (Wales), Farrell (England), Daly (England); Sexton, Murray (both Ireland); Vunipola, George (both England), Furlong (Ireland); Itoje (England), Jones (Wales); Warburton (Wales, captain), O’Brien (Ireland), Faletau (Wales.
Replacements: Owens (Wales), McGrath (Ireland), Sinckler, Lawes (both England), Stander (Ireland), Webb (Wales), Te’o (England), Nowell (England).