Rugby Union: Saracens make history by winning Tyrells Premiers 15s final
- Credit: The RFU Collection via Getty Ima
Sarries beat Harlequins 24-20 in Sunday’s final
Saracens Women made history at the weekend by becoming the inaugural winners of the Tyrells Premiers 15s.
The north Londoners recorded a 24-20 victory over capital rivals Harlequins in the final at Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing on Sunday.
With the competition in its first season, Sarries became the first team to lift the trophy following their success in the final.
And Mark McCall, the director of rugby at Saracens who is in charge of the senior men’s team, paid tribute to the women’s squad following their triumph.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s big for the club. They’ve had an unbelievable season. To go and win in a local derby against Quins is a great achievement. Hopefully we can emulate them!” McCall told the club website.
Against Harlequins, tries from Sam Martinez Gion, skipper Lotte Clapp and Garnet Mackinder saw Sarries hold a 17-8 lead at the interval.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 10 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
Quins closed the gap with the first try of the second half, but Hannah Botterman hit back for the north Londoners to put them back in a commanding position.
However, another try for Harlequins forced Saracens to hang on in the closing moments before seeing the victory out.
It was a historic moment for the north Londoners as they became the first winners of the competition.
The Tyrells Premiers 15s began last September, with the top 10 women’s teams in the country battling it out.
Saracens finished top of the regular season table, winning to secure home advantage in the play-off semi-finals.
There, the north Londoners beat Gloucester-Hartpury 107-26 on aggregate in their two-legged tie.
That set Saracens up nicely for their final success over Harlequins, and flanker Marlie Packer was delighted the team showed why the finish top of the regular season table.
“We are the best in the country and that’s fact now,” she told the Tyrells Premier 15s website.
“Just because we won the league it didn’t mean we were going to win the cup, but we’ve done it.
“Saracens have bragging rights now let’s be honest. When we go away for international duty we all have a little bit of banter and this and that, so we can enjoy that.
“Both teams put on a fabulous performance out there, it was edge of your seat rugby.”