Rugby Union: Saracens make history by winning Tyrells Premiers 15s final
- Credit: The RFU Collection via Getty Ima
Sarries beat Harlequins 24-20 in Sunday’s final
Saracens Women made history at the weekend by becoming the inaugural winners of the Tyrells Premiers 15s.
The north Londoners recorded a 24-20 victory over capital rivals Harlequins in the final at Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing on Sunday.
With the competition in its first season, Sarries became the first team to lift the trophy following their success in the final.
And Mark McCall, the director of rugby at Saracens who is in charge of the senior men’s team, paid tribute to the women’s squad following their triumph.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s big for the club. They’ve had an unbelievable season. To go and win in a local derby against Quins is a great achievement. Hopefully we can emulate them!” McCall told the club website.
Against Harlequins, tries from Sam Martinez Gion, skipper Lotte Clapp and Garnet Mackinder saw Sarries hold a 17-8 lead at the interval.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Quins closed the gap with the first try of the second half, but Hannah Botterman hit back for the north Londoners to put them back in a commanding position.
However, another try for Harlequins forced Saracens to hang on in the closing moments before seeing the victory out.
It was a historic moment for the north Londoners as they became the first winners of the competition.
The Tyrells Premiers 15s began last September, with the top 10 women’s teams in the country battling it out.
Saracens finished top of the regular season table, winning to secure home advantage in the play-off semi-finals.
There, the north Londoners beat Gloucester-Hartpury 107-26 on aggregate in their two-legged tie.
That set Saracens up nicely for their final success over Harlequins, and flanker Marlie Packer was delighted the team showed why the finish top of the regular season table.
“We are the best in the country and that’s fact now,” she told the Tyrells Premier 15s website.
“Just because we won the league it didn’t mean we were going to win the cup, but we’ve done it.
“Saracens have bragging rights now let’s be honest. When we go away for international duty we all have a little bit of banter and this and that, so we can enjoy that.
“Both teams put on a fabulous performance out there, it was edge of your seat rugby.”