Rugby Union: Saracens make history by winning Tyrells Premiers 15s final
- Credit: The RFU Collection via Getty Ima
Sarries beat Harlequins 24-20 in Sunday’s final
Saracens Women made history at the weekend by becoming the inaugural winners of the Tyrells Premiers 15s.
The north Londoners recorded a 24-20 victory over capital rivals Harlequins in the final at Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing on Sunday.
With the competition in its first season, Sarries became the first team to lift the trophy following their success in the final.
And Mark McCall, the director of rugby at Saracens who is in charge of the senior men’s team, paid tribute to the women’s squad following their triumph.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s big for the club. They’ve had an unbelievable season. To go and win in a local derby against Quins is a great achievement. Hopefully we can emulate them!” McCall told the club website.
Against Harlequins, tries from Sam Martinez Gion, skipper Lotte Clapp and Garnet Mackinder saw Sarries hold a 17-8 lead at the interval.
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
Quins closed the gap with the first try of the second half, but Hannah Botterman hit back for the north Londoners to put them back in a commanding position.
However, another try for Harlequins forced Saracens to hang on in the closing moments before seeing the victory out.
It was a historic moment for the north Londoners as they became the first winners of the competition.
The Tyrells Premiers 15s began last September, with the top 10 women’s teams in the country battling it out.
Saracens finished top of the regular season table, winning to secure home advantage in the play-off semi-finals.
There, the north Londoners beat Gloucester-Hartpury 107-26 on aggregate in their two-legged tie.
That set Saracens up nicely for their final success over Harlequins, and flanker Marlie Packer was delighted the team showed why the finish top of the regular season table.
“We are the best in the country and that’s fact now,” she told the Tyrells Premier 15s website.
“Just because we won the league it didn’t mean we were going to win the cup, but we’ve done it.
“Saracens have bragging rights now let’s be honest. When we go away for international duty we all have a little bit of banter and this and that, so we can enjoy that.
“Both teams put on a fabulous performance out there, it was edge of your seat rugby.”