Rugby Union: Saracens lock Maro Itoje replaces club mate George Kruis in British & Irish Lions team to face New Zealand in second Test
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Itoje impressed off the bench during first Test loss
Saracens lock Maro Itoje has replaced club colleague George Kruis in starting XV for the British & Irish Lions’ second Test against New Zealand on Saturday.
Itoje impressed off the bench last weekend in the first Test defeat in Auckland and clearly did enough to earn a start for this Saturday’s clash.
The 22-year-old comes in to partner Welsh lock Alun Wyn Jones in the second row at the expense of Kruis, who drops out of the matchday 23 altogether.
Sarries back Owen Farrell retains his place in the starting team, though has moved from 10 to 12, with Ireland’s Jonny Sexton at fly half.
You may also want to watch:
Prop Mako Vunipola and hooker Jamie George keep their spots in the front row, while soon-to-be Sarries man Liam Williams keeps retains place at fullback despite an indifferent first Test.
Welshman Sam Warburton takes over the captaincy and the blindside flanker role from Peter O’Mahony of Ireland for the crucial second Test.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
Lions squad to face New Zealand: Williams (Wales); Watson (England), Davies (Wales), Farrell (England), Daly (England); Sexton (Ireland), Murray (Ireland); Vunipola (England), George (England), Furlong (Ireland); Itoje (England), Jones (Wales); Warburton (Wales, captain), O’Brien (Ireland), Faletau (Wales).
Replacements: Owens (Wales), McGrath (Ireland), Sinckler (England), Lawes (England), Stander (Ireland), Webb (Wales), Te’o (England), Nowell (England).