Rugby Union: Saracens lock Maro Itoje replaces club mate George Kruis in British & Irish Lions team to face New Zealand in second Test
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Itoje impressed off the bench during first Test loss
Saracens lock Maro Itoje has replaced club colleague George Kruis in starting XV for the British & Irish Lions’ second Test against New Zealand on Saturday.
Itoje impressed off the bench last weekend in the first Test defeat in Auckland and clearly did enough to earn a start for this Saturday’s clash.
The 22-year-old comes in to partner Welsh lock Alun Wyn Jones in the second row at the expense of Kruis, who drops out of the matchday 23 altogether.
Sarries back Owen Farrell retains his place in the starting team, though has moved from 10 to 12, with Ireland’s Jonny Sexton at fly half.
Prop Mako Vunipola and hooker Jamie George keep their spots in the front row, while soon-to-be Sarries man Liam Williams keeps retains place at fullback despite an indifferent first Test.
Welshman Sam Warburton takes over the captaincy and the blindside flanker role from Peter O’Mahony of Ireland for the crucial second Test.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 6 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 7 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
Lions squad to face New Zealand: Williams (Wales); Watson (England), Davies (Wales), Farrell (England), Daly (England); Sexton (Ireland), Murray (Ireland); Vunipola (England), George (England), Furlong (Ireland); Itoje (England), Jones (Wales); Warburton (Wales, captain), O’Brien (Ireland), Faletau (Wales).
Replacements: Owens (Wales), McGrath (Ireland), Sinckler (England), Lawes (England), Stander (Ireland), Webb (Wales), Te’o (England), Nowell (England).