Rugby Union: Saracens flanker Will Fraser retires due to neck injury
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Sarries academy graduate calls time on career
Saracens flanker Will Fraser has retired from professional rugby with immediate effect.
A neck injury has forced the 27-year-old to call it a day after making 83 appearances in all competitions for the Allianz Park club.
Fraser helped the north Londoners secure a famous double in the Aviva Premiership and European Champions Cup in 2016.
Last season, though, he was restricted to just four appearances in all competitions last term, with his last outing coming in the Premiership at Gloucester in February.
“As everyone knows, I have had a torrid time with injuries pretty much throughout my whole career, but especially in the last couple of years,” Fraser told the club website.
“Unfortunately, with this injury, I have had to listen to the medical advice which has been for me to stop playing.
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 3 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 4 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 5 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 6 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 7 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 8 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 9 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 10 Disabled swimmer loses court battle over Heath swimming prices
“The decision was made for me, which is tough, but it’s a decision that completely I understand and accept.
“As I take time to reflect I can look back on my career with no regrets.
“There’s nothing more I think I could have done or anything else I wished I could have done - I’ve been so lucky to have experienced the dream of being a rugby player at a place that I love and with people who are incredibly special to me.”