Rugby Union: Saracens drawn with Clermont Auvernge in pool stages of European Champions Cup
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sarries beat French club in May’s final, but will meet in Pool Two next year
Saracens face a repeat of last season’s European Champions Cup final in the group stages of this term’s competition after being drawn in Pool Two alongside Top 14 champions Clermont Auvergne.
The teams met in the final in Edinburgh in May, but will meet in the first round this time around and are joined in the group by Pro12 side Ospreys and Premiership rivals Northampton Saints.
Despite winning the competition for the past two seasons, Sarries were among the second seeds in the draw by virtue of their performance in last year’s Premiership.
Pool matches will take place over the weekends of October 13-15, October 20-22, December 8-10, December 15-17, January 12-14 and January 19-21.
Should Sarries progress, the quarter-finals will be from March 30 to April 1, with the semi-finals from April 21-22 and the final in Bilabao’s San Mames Stadium on May 12.
Fixtures will be announced in the coming weeks.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 3 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 7 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 8 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 9 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 10 Hornsey Exchange opening first step in bringing town hall 'back to life'
Draw in full, Pool One: Wasps, La Rochelle, Ulster, Harlequins
Pool Two: Clermont Auvergne, Saracens, Ospreys, Northampton Saints
Pool Three: Exeter Chief, Leinster, Montpellier, Glasgow Warriors
Pool Four: Munster, Racing, Leicester Tigers, Castres
Pool Five: Scarlets, Toulon, Bath, Benetton