Rugby Union: Hendon beaten by late try against Bank of England in Herts/Middlesex One

The new rugby union season is now well underway (pix: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The new rugby union season is now well underway (pix: George Phillipou/TGS Photo) - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

Herts/Middlesex One: Hendon 22 Bank of England 28

Hendon suffered more late heartbreak as they were beaten by another late try in Herts/Middlesex One, going down 28-22 to Bank of England.

Despite being league leaders, it took 25 minutes for Bank to score their first try, with the visitors scoring a penalty try.

Hendon attacked immediately through a carry by Paul Julian, but in the following scrum, he was given 10 minutes in the sin-bin for questioning a refereeing decision.

Bank made the most of their man advantage to run in their second try to make it 14-0 to the away side.

Hendon, though, fought back and in the final 10 minutes of the first half scored three tries to take the lead.

Cian Hynes started the first Hendon score with a penalty kick from halfway to the Bank five-metre line.

Most Read

From the lineout, Hendon forwards set up a rolling maul and TJ O’Sullivan touched down for an unconverted score.

Two minutes later, a blind side move by JP Cremin to Tom Mathius was stopped short and Bank cleared with a poor kick to touch.

Again from the lineout, Donal O’Sullivan carried the ball to the Bank line, before Toby Ikwueke came into the maul to score the try, which Hynes converted.

With a minute left of the first period, Hendon took the ball from another long kick from defence, took possession from poor defending by Bank and set up another maul.

This time, skipper Mike Culhane went over the whitewash for Hendon’s third score with Hynes adding the extras to make it 19-14 at half time.

Hendon played up the slope and into the wind in the second half, Bank taking the initiative to score a pushover try which was converted as they led 21-19.

The hosts, though, regained the lead after being awarded a penalty which Hynes kicked over the posts.

Hendon’s hope of an unexpected win, though, were dashed in the closing minute as poor defence let through for another converted try.

Hendon will hope to avoid late heartbreak this weekend when they entertain London Welsh in their next league encounter.