Rugby Union: Hendon beaten at Old Actonians in Herts/Middlesex One

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo) - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

Herts/Middlesex One: Old Actonians 54 Hendon 27

Non-availability, injuries and a three-week layoff proved costly for Hendon as they lost 54-27 at Old Actonians in Herts/Middlesex One.

The visitors started well and battled with Actonians in all areas, but after 10 minutes a Hendon forward was sin binned, leading to the first try for the hosts two minutes later.

From the restart, the away team mauled to the Actonians 22, but dropped the ball.

The hosts cleared their lines with a long kick which resulted in a defensive error that allowed Actonians to score an easy try and go 14-0 up.

Another long punt by Actonians again resulted in a defensive box kick by Hendon being charged down and the hosts had their third try, leading 19-0 after 20 minutes.

Despite trailing, the visitors rallied, securing a penalty try after a maul was collapsed close to the line to make it 19-7.

Most Read

The Hendon maul worked again soon after, with centre Chris Kiyingi joining the pack to help push them over to score their second try, which was converted by Cian Hynes.

The visitors continued to dominate up front in the minutes before half time, with a Hynes penalty seeing them trail just 19-17 at the break.

Early in the second half, a scrum on the Hendon five-metre line was defended, but a clearing kick was charged down, allowing Actonians in for an easy try.

From the restart, TJ O’Sullivan took the honours with another forward push to score a try for Hendon, with the extra added to make it 26-24.

However, with their two replacements already on because of injuries, further knocks to Mike Culhane and Kiyingi meant both had to stay on with the visitors weakened.

Actonians made the most of this as they crossed the Hendon whitewash out wide to go 33-24 ahead.

A penalty for the visitors cut the gap to six points, but it proved to be their last points of the game.

Hendon conceded three further tries before time was up and will hope for better on March 21 when they host London French under the lights at Allianz Park.