Rugby: Saracens seven at England camp
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Saracens Women have sent seven of their players to a four-day training camp with England at Loughborough University.
The elite player squad camp convened on Thursday to begin preparations for the Six Nations campaign, which begins against Italy on February 4, and included Lauren Cattell, Charlotte Clapp, Zoe Harrison, Marlie Packer and Poppy Cleall, as well as under-20s Hannah Botterman and Helena Rowland, who made their debuts against Canada last month.
Head coach Simon Middleton said: “We want to continue to build on what was put in place for the Old Mutual Wealth Series, while at the same time get winnning results.
“The Six Nations is a highly competitive tournament and the level of competition is tough.”
England Women will meet up again on January 22 for a week-long training camp before a playing squad is selected for the match against Italy at the Stadio Mirabello, which will be broadcast live on Sky Sports.
The Red Roses won the Six Nations title last year, with their first Grand Slam since 2012.
Squad: Bianca Blackburn (Gloucester-Hartpury); Rachael Burford (Harlequins); Lauren Cattell (Saracens); Charlotte Clapp (Saracens); Abigail Dow (Wasps); Zoe Harrison (Saracens); Ellie Kildunne (Gloucester-Hartpury); Caity Mattinson (Bristol); Charlotte Pearce (Loughborough Lightning); Amber Reed (Bristol); Leanne Riley (Harlequins); Helena Rowland (Saracens); Kelly Smith (Gloucester-Hartpury); Lagi Tuima (Bristol); Danielle Waterman (Wasps); Rachael Woosey (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks); Sarah Bern (Gloucester-Hartpury); Hannah Botterman (Saracens); Jo Brown (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks); Shaunagh Brown (Harlequins); Rowena Burnfield (Richmond); Amy Cokayne (Wasps); Rochelle Clark (Wasps); Poppy Cleall (Saracens); Vickii Cornborough (Harlequins); Lark Davies (Worcester); Sarah Hunter (Loughborough Lightning); Olivia Jones (Loughborough Lightning); Heather Kerr (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks); Poppy Leitch (Bristol); Justine Lucas (Wasps); Izzy Noel-Smith (Bristol); Catherine O’Donnell (Loughborough Lightning); Marlie Packer (Saracens); Tamara Taylor (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks); Abbie Scott (Harlequins).
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 5 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 6 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 7 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 8 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 9 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 10 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
Six Nations fixtures, Italy v England (Feb 4, 5.30pm); England v Wales (Feb 10, 12.15pm); Scotland v England (Feb 23, 7.30pm); France v England (March 10, 8pm); England v Ireland (March 16, 5.30pm).