Rugby: Saracens set to face Samoa
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Saracens trio Jamie George, Maro Itoje and Alex Lozowski have all been named in the England starting XV for their match against Samoa at Twickenham on Saturday.
Head coach Eddie Jones has made nine changes to the side that began their 30-6 win over Australia last weekend, with Itoje in the back row alongside co-captain Chris Robshaw and debutant Sam Simmonds.
George replaces captain Dylan Hartley at hooker, while clubmate Mako Vunipola is left out of the matchday squad and replaced in the front row by Ellis genge.
Lozowski comes into the centres for his third cap in place of clubmate Owen Farrell, to line up alongside Henry Slade, and Nick Isiekwe will win his second cap from the bench.
Jones said: “This is an exciting squad to play against Samoa and we are expecting them to be immensely physical and committed this weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to follow up last week’s performance against Australia and play better again this week. Our intent in every game and every training session is to be better.
“This week it is an opportunity for some squad members who haven’t been playing to put their best foot forward. We will have to play smart and will need to find ways to win the contest against Samoa.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 9 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“The crowd last week were outstanding and we want to put on a good performance again for them this weekend.”
England: 15 Mike Brown (Harlequins 63 caps); 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 28 caps); 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs 9 caps); 12 Alex Lozowski (Saracens 3 caps); 11 Elliot Daly (Wasps 15 caps); 10 George Ford (co-captain, Leicester Tigers 39 caps); 9 Danny Care (Harlequins 75 caps); 1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers 4 caps); 2 Jamie George (Saracens 19 caps); 3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 76 caps); 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 46 caps); 5 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby 5 caps); 6 Maro Itoje (Saracens 13 caps); 7 Chris Robshaw (co-captain, Harlequins 58 caps); 8 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 2 caps). Bench: 16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints 88 caps); 17 Joe Marler (Harlequins 52 caps); 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs 4 caps); 19 Nick Isiekwe (Saracens 1 cap); 20 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 60 caps); 21 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers 72 caps); 22 Piers Francis (Northampton Saints 2 caps); 23 Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby 3 caps).