Rugby: Saracens set to face Samoa
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Saracens trio Jamie George, Maro Itoje and Alex Lozowski have all been named in the England starting XV for their match against Samoa at Twickenham on Saturday.
Head coach Eddie Jones has made nine changes to the side that began their 30-6 win over Australia last weekend, with Itoje in the back row alongside co-captain Chris Robshaw and debutant Sam Simmonds.
George replaces captain Dylan Hartley at hooker, while clubmate Mako Vunipola is left out of the matchday squad and replaced in the front row by Ellis genge.
Lozowski comes into the centres for his third cap in place of clubmate Owen Farrell, to line up alongside Henry Slade, and Nick Isiekwe will win his second cap from the bench.
Jones said: “This is an exciting squad to play against Samoa and we are expecting them to be immensely physical and committed this weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to follow up last week’s performance against Australia and play better again this week. Our intent in every game and every training session is to be better.
“This week it is an opportunity for some squad members who haven’t been playing to put their best foot forward. We will have to play smart and will need to find ways to win the contest against Samoa.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 5 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 6 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 7 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 8 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
“The crowd last week were outstanding and we want to put on a good performance again for them this weekend.”
England: 15 Mike Brown (Harlequins 63 caps); 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 28 caps); 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs 9 caps); 12 Alex Lozowski (Saracens 3 caps); 11 Elliot Daly (Wasps 15 caps); 10 George Ford (co-captain, Leicester Tigers 39 caps); 9 Danny Care (Harlequins 75 caps); 1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers 4 caps); 2 Jamie George (Saracens 19 caps); 3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 76 caps); 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 46 caps); 5 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby 5 caps); 6 Maro Itoje (Saracens 13 caps); 7 Chris Robshaw (co-captain, Harlequins 58 caps); 8 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 2 caps). Bench: 16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints 88 caps); 17 Joe Marler (Harlequins 52 caps); 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs 4 caps); 19 Nick Isiekwe (Saracens 1 cap); 20 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 60 caps); 21 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers 72 caps); 22 Piers Francis (Northampton Saints 2 caps); 23 Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby 3 caps).