Rugby: Hampstead women hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead women’s second string held on for a nailbiting win over Hitchin.
The north London club had the better of the first half play to build a 19-0 lead by the half-time break.
A superb lineout and driving maul led to captain Alexia Troian Gautier going over for the first try, with Lydia Hartridge storming over for a second after some strong running from Carol Evans.
Keshia Evans added a superb conversion and good work by the forwards set up Gautier after a perfectly timed run.
Hitchin hit back from a penalty close to the line after the restart and found space out wide as Hampstead spent a lengthy spell on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
But some good phases of play saw Hampstead move downfield and new recruit Melissa Roper ran in at the corner to secure a 24-22 victory.
Flanker Alex Bowtell took the forward of the match award, whie Hartridge was named back of the match.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation