Rugby: Hampstead women hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead women’s second string held on for a nailbiting win over Hitchin.
The north London club had the better of the first half play to build a 19-0 lead by the half-time break.
A superb lineout and driving maul led to captain Alexia Troian Gautier going over for the first try, with Lydia Hartridge storming over for a second after some strong running from Carol Evans.
Keshia Evans added a superb conversion and good work by the forwards set up Gautier after a perfectly timed run.
Hitchin hit back from a penalty close to the line after the restart and found space out wide as Hampstead spent a lengthy spell on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
But some good phases of play saw Hampstead move downfield and new recruit Melissa Roper ran in at the corner to secure a 24-22 victory.
Flanker Alex Bowtell took the forward of the match award, whie Hartridge was named back of the match.
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 6 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 7 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure