Rugby: Hampstead women hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead women’s second string held on for a nailbiting win over Hitchin.
The north London club had the better of the first half play to build a 19-0 lead by the half-time break.
A superb lineout and driving maul led to captain Alexia Troian Gautier going over for the first try, with Lydia Hartridge storming over for a second after some strong running from Carol Evans.
Keshia Evans added a superb conversion and good work by the forwards set up Gautier after a perfectly timed run.
Hitchin hit back from a penalty close to the line after the restart and found space out wide as Hampstead spent a lengthy spell on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
But some good phases of play saw Hampstead move downfield and new recruit Melissa Roper ran in at the corner to secure a 24-22 victory.
Flanker Alex Bowtell took the forward of the match award, whie Hartridge was named back of the match.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes