Rugby: Hampstead women hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead women’s second string held on for a nailbiting win over Hitchin.
The north London club had the better of the first half play to build a 19-0 lead by the half-time break.
A superb lineout and driving maul led to captain Alexia Troian Gautier going over for the first try, with Lydia Hartridge storming over for a second after some strong running from Carol Evans.
Keshia Evans added a superb conversion and good work by the forwards set up Gautier after a perfectly timed run.
Hitchin hit back from a penalty close to the line after the restart and found space out wide as Hampstead spent a lengthy spell on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
But some good phases of play saw Hampstead move downfield and new recruit Melissa Roper ran in at the corner to secure a 24-22 victory.
Flanker Alex Bowtell took the forward of the match award, whie Hartridge was named back of the match.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill