Finchley pick up convincing win in first game of season
- Credit: Archant
Finchley started their season with a convincing win as they beat Old Merchant Taylors (OMTs) 48-22.
A tight first twenty minutes saw both teams go close to scoring and Finchley withstanding five minutes of their opposition attacking close to their try line.
Finchley then moved the ball with more purpose and width and found success with four tries before half time to go in 22-8 up.
Two early tries for Finchley after half-time put them 36-8 up before three injuries in the back-line forced a number of positional changes.
A sustained period of pressure from OMTs saw them reduce the deficit to 36-22 before Finchley sealed the win with two late scores.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach James Clarke said: "It was a very pleasing start to the season, scoring eight tries in our first league game.
"There are some areas to work on defensively this week but it's definitely a promising start and hopefully more to come as we look to back this performance up against Harrow on Saturday away."
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 3 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 10 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms