Finchley pick up convincing win in first game of season
- Credit: Archant
Finchley started their season with a convincing win as they beat Old Merchant Taylors (OMTs) 48-22.
A tight first twenty minutes saw both teams go close to scoring and Finchley withstanding five minutes of their opposition attacking close to their try line.
Finchley then moved the ball with more purpose and width and found success with four tries before half time to go in 22-8 up.
Two early tries for Finchley after half-time put them 36-8 up before three injuries in the back-line forced a number of positional changes.
A sustained period of pressure from OMTs saw them reduce the deficit to 36-22 before Finchley sealed the win with two late scores.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach James Clarke said: "It was a very pleasing start to the season, scoring eight tries in our first league game.
"There are some areas to work on defensively this week but it's definitely a promising start and hopefully more to come as we look to back this performance up against Harrow on Saturday away."
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Hundreds raised for St John’s Wood shop wrecked by flooding