Promising performance but UCSOB remain locked in battle after Royston loss
- Credit: Nick Cook
UCSOB Rugby Club remain locked in a battle at the bottom of Herts Middlesex One depsite a promising performance in the 48-19 defeat to Royston.
They have 19 points, the same as bottom side Wasps FC, but stay one place above them by virtue of having more wins this season.
The fine weather encouraged both sides to play an expansive game.
A strong start helped UCS to control the game, with strong forward running from Ahmed Ghanem, Chris Bean and George Sewell.
And the early pressure yielded the first try of the game through Mert Zabci.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately they took their foot off the gas after the restart allowing Royston to reply with a try of their own.
This clearly concentrated the minds and UCSOB set out to dominate once again and were unfortunate not to score the second try after more strong running from the forwards, complimented by Adam McAteer and Henry Day in midfield.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 8 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 9 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
But as half time approached Royston were able to capitalise on some tired defending on the blindside to score quick tries, giving an unfair reflection of the host’s efforts.
The game opened up in the second half with running rugby from both sides.
Royston were able to capitalise on mistakes to keep the scoreboard ticking over but the Old Boys were equal to them in open play and their adventurous style led to tries from Day and Nathaniel Breakwell, who also made two conversions, the hardest of which was a hurried drop-goal.
At this point the result was beyond reach for UCSOB but they were spurred on by the chance of a bonus point and went on to dominate the closing stages.
And only resolute Royston defending denied them that reward.
UCSOB: Sewell, Bean, Ghanem, Boulden, Douglas-Lee, Warner, Knights, Zabci, Breakwell, Jacobs, Oulton, McAteer, Day, Bromley, Loughnan
Replacements: Harper, Turton, Bazan