Prolific Hounds set to reach play-offs
Haringey Greyhounds moved to within a victory of confirming their play-off place in the English League after hammering Basingstoke on Saturday. Ricky Rutherford, Rob Johnston and Scott Cannam all grabbed braces as the team cruised to a six-goal victory.
Haringey Greyhounds moved to within a victory of confirming their play-off place in the English League after hammering Basingstoke on Saturday.
Ricky Rutherford, Rob Johnston and Scott Cannam all grabbed braces as the team cruised to a six-goal victory.
However, the Hounds endured another predictably slow first period before the goals began to flow - losing the opening 20 minutes 2-1.
"It's almost good luck to let the opposition get the first goal," joked Hounds' player Jan Bestic.
"It seems to happen every game now - I think we take time to suss them out.
"Only having one practice session a week doesn't help."
- 1 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 4 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 7 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 8 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 9 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
Dave Print scored for the Hounds in the first period as Basingstoke - who had weak ambitions of making the play-offs themselves - scored twice during power-plays.
In the second period, Rutherford was on target with a slap-shot and Johnston netted from a power-play, while Cannam bagged an unassisted strike and a short-handed goal, making it 5-2.
"Scott's second strike was amazing," said Bestic.
"He smashed it, back-handed it into the top corner of the net. The keeper had no chance."
Johnston netted again off a power-play before Gary Dodds and Rutherford rounded off the scoring - both with Cannam's assistance.
"We out-shot Basingstoke 45-23 and when it's so one-sided that really wears their goalie down," added Bestic.
However, Print was denied his brace when one of his efforts was adjudged not to have crossed the line, despite seemingly having hit the back of the net and rocketed straight back out. "I couldn't believe it," added Bestic. "I can tell you it was a goal, there's no way it didn't go in.
"The referee thought it had hit the bar, but it hit the top of the net which is pulled so tight the puck flew out again. If it had hit the crossbar you'd have heard it."
Bestic added: "Everyone was happy that we won - it was a massive team effort.
"Now we are in the perfect place, knowing that a win next week will be enough to leave us fourth no matter what the other teams do."
Haringey face Swindon at Alexandra Palace on Sunday (5.30pm).
The teams drew the first match on the opening day of the season.