Princely performance from Charles as Hendon triumph at Ickenham
- Credit: Archant
Harry Charles scored two tries and set up another two as a 20-12 win at Ickenham strengthened Hendon’s stranglehold on sixth place in Herts/Middlesex Division Two.
The visitors missed an early penalty and went behind to a kick at the other end. But, from the restart, Paul Geraghty collected the high ball and made the initial break before Charles ran from the halfway line to the 22 – and Jamie Connolly was on hand to finish.
An almost identical move immediately followed as Geraghty fed Charles, who crashed through several tackles and this time passed to Mike Evan-Jones to touch down.
Ickenham’s heavier pack gained the upper hand but Connolly and Brian O’Regan defended well – and O’Regan fed Charles, who ran through from halfway again and went all the way to the line himself.
Ickenham narrowed the gap with a penalty – and they added two more after the interval to cut the deficit to just three points with 10 minutes to go.
You may also want to watch:
But Hendon put the game beyond their hosts with a driving maul, rumbling forward from the 22 and crossing the line, allowing Charles to score his second try from the back of the pack.
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 4 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 5 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 6 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 7 'Real harm to wildlife': Invasive crayfish in Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 8 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 9 'She means the world': Councillor's plea to bring home missing cat Evey
- 10 Early plans under way for Dartmouth Park LTN scheme