Power is out to make his point in Dublin bout
CAMDEN S ex-British bantamweight champion Martin Power is in top form ahead of his long-awaited return against Gary Davies in Dublin on Thursday, writes Simon Jackson. The former St Pancras amateur star, unbeaten in is his first 19 fights, has not fought
CAMDEN'S ex-British bantamweight champion Martin Power is in top form ahead of his long-awaited return against Gary Davies in Dublin on Thursday, writes Simon Jackson.
The former St Pancras amateur star, unbeaten in is his first 19 fights, has not fought since his a points loss to Ian Napa when challenging for the British belt in November 2007.
Two years earlier Power had beaten Napa, the current European champion, and his trainer Johnny Eames is confident his bantamweight star's massive ability remains intact.
"I still think Martin is the best bantamweight in Britain," Eames exclusively told Ham&High Sports. "His training has gone well [but] we are taking it one fight at a time."
You may also want to watch:
Power began his professional career with a points win over Sean Grant at York Hall in 2001 and proceeded to storm his way to the peak of the British bantamweight division. The 28-year-old out-pointed Dale Robinson to win the vacant belt in May 2005 and beat Napa in his first defence of the title.
The Camden fighter followed up with the eighth round stoppage of Isaac Ward in his second defence, but was then twice beaten by Tsifhiwa Munyai for the Commonwealth belt.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change