Pettit’s hat-trick is a bonus for Hampstead in defeat at HAC
- Credit: Archant
Will Pettit scored a hat-trick in Hampstead’s high-scoring 65-28 defeat away at HAC, securing a four-try bonus point which helped to keep them outside the relegation zone in London Division Two North-West.
HAC put phase after phase together in a frantic opening 20 minutes, but they couldn’t cross the line and had to settle for a penalty.
When Hampstead did get their hands on the ball, they lacked some direction and an interception – the first of three on the day – led to the home side’s first try.
But Hampstead were up for the fight, hitting back with a Pettit try, and when Dan Dimoline slotted the conversion between the sticks with five minutes of the first half remaining, a tight, low-scoring game was unfolding.
However, a miss-hit clearance did not find touch and HAC scored with the last play of the period to take a 15-7 lead into the break – and the floodgates opened in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
There were 71 points scored in total – 50 of them by HAC, with many resulting from Hampstead errors and some awful tackling.
On the positive side, Pettit touched down twice more and veteran full-back Guy Dobson also crossed the whitewash to clinch a bonus point.
- 1 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 5 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 8 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
“It was a bizarre game of rugby,” said stand-in captain Andy McEwen. “To be so close at half-time and then leak so many points is very disappointing. There’s a lot to work on in the new year.”