Past experiences helping Christopher Tolofua settle in at Saracens
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
French hooker a summer arrival at Allianz Park
New Saracens hooker Christopher Tolofua says he is bedding in well with his team mates in north London.
The 23-year-old is a summer arrival at Allianz Park, having joined from French Top 14 outfit Toulouse, where he started his career.
Tolofua, though, has long known about his move across the Channel, having agreed to move to Sarries last August after signing a two-year deal, which runs from this summer.
The front-row forward is one of six players to move to Allianz Park ahead of the new campaign, along with Welsh back Liam Williams, English flanker Calum Clark, Welsh lock Dominic Day and Australians Kieran Longbottom and Will Skelton.
You may also want to watch:
In matches against Saracens in the past, Tolofua has performed well and has even scored a try against his new team, and he admits those past experiences have helped him settle in London.
“Sometimes I joke with some of the players here about scoring a try in the past and asking if they remember playing against me before!” Tolofua told the club website.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 7 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 8 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
“It’s nice because we talk about some players from the French team they have played against some times. Everything is nice because we’re talking and joking, so it’s not a bad thing.”
This season will be a new experience for Tolofua, who will be playing outside of France for the first time.
The now 23-year-old made his debut for Toulouse as a teenager in the 2011-12 Heineken Cup, before going on to feature regularly over the new few season.
The hooker’s form at club level also saw Tolofua earn a call up to the French national team, coming off the bench to make his debut in Argentina in June 2012.
Tolofua has seven caps in total for the Les Bleus, but he is excited about the next chapter in his career following the move to Saracens.
“I was very excited at the end of last season when I was at Toulouse because the challenge here is very nice,” added the 23-year-old.
“There are very good players and I was sure everything was going to be fine for the future if I joined Saracens.
“I had met the coach before and he was very fair and true with me, so I’m happy to join.”
Sarries play in the Premeriship Rugby Sevens this weekend.