Hockey schedule revealed for 2021 Tokyo Olympics
- Credit: Archant
The match schedule for the men’s and women’s hockey competitions at the delayed 2021 Tokyo Olympics have been revealed.
Originally scheduled to run from July 25 until August 7, 2020 with matches at the purpose-built Oi Hockey Stadium in Japan’s capital city, the competition was postponed due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
The action will now get underway on July 24, 2021 as hosts Japan take on men’s FIH Pro League champions Australia, while the women’s competition begins with reigning world champions and world number one side the Netherlands taking on India.
Gold medal matches will take place on August 5 and 6.
Great Britain’s men start in Pool B against South Africa on July 24, then face Canada (July 26), Germany (July 27), the Netherlands (July 29) and Belgium (July 30), ahead of quarter-finals on August 1 and semi-finals on August 3.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Great Britain’s women – who will be defending their Olympic title having won gold at the 2016 Rio Games – begin their Pool A campaign against Germany on July 25, then face South Africa (July 26), India (July 28), the Netherlands (July 29) and Ireland (July 31), with quarter-finals on August 2 and semi-finals on August 4.
- 1 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke