Old Aloysians host Croatian rivals in special match
- Credit: Archant
NK Sracinec Veterani visit Highgate school
The ongoing relationship between St Aloysius School and Druga Gymnasium Secondary school in Varazdin County, Croatia, led to a special match recently.
Old Aloysians Veterans hosted NK Sracinec Veterani at St Aloysius Playing Fields in Highgate, with most of the players aged between 40 and 60.
In what was a very evenly balanced game throughout, with good football played by both sides, Sracinec took the lead after 15 minutes when Elvis Plantak scored with a neat finish.
Plantak then set up Stjepan Smic after 25 minutes to make the score 2-0, which is how it stayed until half-time.
In the second half Plantak, who in his younger years had played top-flight football in Croatia for Varteks Varazdin, added a third, but then Aloysius fought back with two goals in eight minutes.
Andy Bricktop got the first for the hosts, with an own goal cutting the gap to one, before Steficar Ivica sealed the match five minutes from time with a fine finish from the left to make it 4-2.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 8 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
- 9 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 10 Beauty and the Beast: Eyepopping heartwarming spectacle
The touring team then finished their trip off with a visit to compatriot Slaven Bilic at West Ham’s training ground the following day.