Adams retains title with hard-fought draw against Salinas
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Former Haringey amateur Nicola Adams retained her WBO World Flyweight Title with a hard-fought draw against Maria Salinas on Friday.
Adams had not fought for 11 months leading up to the bout at the Royal Albert Hall and was defending the title she won in just her fifth professional fight.
Her opponent, however, was competing in her 32nd fight and went into the contest having beaten Kandy Sandoval in May.
One judge gave it to Adams by a score of 97-93, with the second scoring it 96-94 in favour of Salinas.
But Howard Foster judged it as a 95-95 draw meaning Adams kept hold of her title.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, former Finchley amateur lightweight Mo Gharib took his professional record to five wins and just one defeat after beating Jamie Quinn at York Hall on Saturday.
Referee Lee Cook gave the fight to Gharib by a score of 40-37.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council