Nicola Adams off to a winning start as a professional
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Nicola Adams made a winning start to her professional career with victory over Virginia Noemi Carcamo in Manchester.
The Olympic hero, who took gold in both London and Rio as well as winning World and European flyweight titles, used to be registered with Haringey Boxing Club.
And she outpointed her Argentinian opponent by 40 points to 36 at Manchester Arena.
While she was taking her first steps in the professional world, Marylebone man Joshuna Ejakpovi was fighting in his seventh bout.
And he kept his unbeaten streak intact with the same 40-36 points win over Victor Edagha at York Hall.
It looked like it would be over in the first round when the southpaw Ejakpovi dropped his oppenent with a stiff left jab to the body.
But Edagha managed to survive and go the four-round distance although there was never any danger of the Marylebone man losing.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 3 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 4 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 5 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 10 Watchdog: Ex-council leader's conduct over housing development was 'flawed'