Club legend Weatherstone eager to bring good times back to Wingate
- Credit: Martin Addison
Newly-appointed Wingate & Finchley manager Marc Weatherstone feels he knows exactly what the club is about – and is keen to bring good times back to the club.
The former club captain, who spent 10 years with the Blues, amassing a total of 459 games played, returns to Summers Lane following two seasons at Enfield Town.
Weatherstone will now return in a new role as he looks to rebuild the club alongside record appearance holder and new director of football Ahmet Rifat.
“Our aim is to bring the good times back to Wingate, get that family and local community feel again,” Weatherstone said.
“Wingate is a club I have spent many years at, totalling 10 years and 459 games. It’s a club that made me feel welcome at a young age if 18 and it soon become home.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the years I have grown and understood what the club is all about and the natural progression for me was to one day manage this fine club.
“I’m proud, honoured and excited about starting this new role at such a great club.”
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 3 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Camden Covid-19 vaccine bus comes to JW3
- 6 'Antisemitic abuse was aimed at me because of my kippah' says faith leader
- 7 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 8 Highgate residents challenge plans for 'intrusive' 16-metre 5G mast
- 9 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 10 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
The former Dulwich Hamlet midfielder revealed that the opportunity came about not long after Wingate announced they would be parting company with Spencer Knight to alter the direction the club is headed.
“It come about because for many years the chairman knew that myself and Ahmet had a desire to one day manage this club together, Ahmet is friend off the pitch as well as on it. So, our natural friendship makes us understand each other which will help in the role we hold today.
“Ahmet and I know each other inside and out, which makes us working together that much easier, we have the passion and desire to achieve what we have set out to.
“The hard work has already started and I’m sure, in due course, you will see a release of the friendlies we have pencilled in for pre-season.”
Wingate now begin preparations for the 2021/22 Isthmian Premier Division season after the last two campaigns were both made null and void.
The new season is scheduled to start on Saturday, August 14.