Club legend Weatherstone eager to bring good times back to Wingate
- Credit: Martin Addison
Newly-appointed Wingate & Finchley manager Marc Weatherstone feels he knows exactly what the club is about – and is keen to bring good times back to the club.
The former club captain, who spent 10 years with the Blues, amassing a total of 459 games played, returns to Summers Lane following two seasons at Enfield Town.
Weatherstone will now return in a new role as he looks to rebuild the club alongside record appearance holder and new director of football Ahmet Rifat.
“Our aim is to bring the good times back to Wingate, get that family and local community feel again,” Weatherstone said.
“Wingate is a club I have spent many years at, totalling 10 years and 459 games. It’s a club that made me feel welcome at a young age if 18 and it soon become home.
“Over the years I have grown and understood what the club is all about and the natural progression for me was to one day manage this fine club.
“I’m proud, honoured and excited about starting this new role at such a great club.”
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
The former Dulwich Hamlet midfielder revealed that the opportunity came about not long after Wingate announced they would be parting company with Spencer Knight to alter the direction the club is headed.
“It come about because for many years the chairman knew that myself and Ahmet had a desire to one day manage this club together, Ahmet is friend off the pitch as well as on it. So, our natural friendship makes us understand each other which will help in the role we hold today.
“Ahmet and I know each other inside and out, which makes us working together that much easier, we have the passion and desire to achieve what we have set out to.
“The hard work has already started and I’m sure, in due course, you will see a release of the friendlies we have pencilled in for pre-season.”
Wingate now begin preparations for the 2021/22 Isthmian Premier Division season after the last two campaigns were both made null and void.
The new season is scheduled to start on Saturday, August 14.