New courts to make Cumberland LTC a ‘leading squash facility nationally’
- Credit: Archant
Work has started on two new championship-standard squash courts at Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club.
The grounbreaking ceremony took place last month at the Alvanley Gardens club with the works set for completition in time for the start of the 2017-2018 season in the autumn.
It will see two championship standard courts built, with glass backs and tiered seating for 100 people.
They will go alongside the club’s current quartet of courts, two of which were built in the 1930s and the others in the seventies.
Nick Dart, squash chairman at the club, said: “This is a very exciting time in the history of the club and on completion pf the work we will have six tournament-standard courts making the Cumberland a leading squash facility in London and indeed nationally.
You may also want to watch:
“Existing demand warrants more courts and we wanted to have a facility that offers six courts under one roof, a rarity.
“Most clubs have between two and four courts. Having six championship courts on the Alvanley Gardens site will put the Cumberland in the Premier league of squash facilities.”
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
The club offers a full range of coaching options for all categories of squash players and has a membership in excess of 400, ranging in age from juniors to an octogenarian.
For more information on the club go to https://www.cltc-hcc.com/