More heartbreak for Hampstead & Westminster as they lose hockey cup final again

PUBLISHED: 15:32 08 May 2013 | UPDATED: 15:32 08 May 2013

Hampstead & Westminster's Scott Cooper is agonisingly close to a goal.

Hampstead & Westminster's Scott Cooper is agonisingly close to a goal.


Hampstead & Westminster suffered heartbreak in the EHB Cup once again after losing the final for the third time in four years.

David Edmonds gave Hampstead & Westminster an early lead, but they lost the cup final.David Edmonds gave Hampstead & Westminster an early lead, but they lost the cup final.

H&W had previously lost the 2010 final, the 2011 semi-final and the 2012 final – and it was the same old story on Saturday as they were defeated by Surbiton, who are managed by their former head coach Todd Williams.

Hampstead took an early lead in the third minute after a fine counter-attack as the ball was crossed for David Edmonds, who delicately lifted the ball over the advancing Surbiton keeper David Kettle.

However, they were unable to build on their opening strike and get a grip on the game.

Surbiton also struggled to get control of possession, but they neatly levelled as Rob Schilling shot narrowly over the bar – and they equalised in the 16th minute from their first penalty corner as James Royce netted with an unstoppable shot.

Surbiton were now dominating the game and they struck again six minutes after achieving parity.

Good work from Johnny Ruiz helped Surbiton to find James Hamlyn in plenty of space, and he hit a powerful shot under the keeper.

It was nearly 3-1 just a minute later when James Tindall hit the outside of the post, and Surbiton created other chances before the interval but were unable to convert them.

The half-time break was a welcome one for Hampstead, who looked like a different team when they emerged for the second period.

They could have equalised from a penalty corner, only to be denied by a fantastic double save from Kettle.

There was little to choose between the two sides in the second half but Hampstead’s hopes of getting back onto level terms were dashed five minutes from time as Surbiton struck a killer third goal.

A free hit from Ben Tibble found Rob Schilling in space in the D, and he finished on the reverse.

Hampstead refused to give up and they went close with one opportunity, but they were unable to reply with a late goal of their own as Surbiton saw the game out and lifted the cup.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express