Middlesex hold nerve to win breathtaking Twenty20 final
MIDDLESEX held their nerve to win a scintillating Twenty20 Cup final by three runs as Kent failed to hit a four off the last ball at the Rose Bowl on Saturday night. It was Middlesex s first silverware for 15 years and they also booked their place in the
MIDDLESEX held their nerve to win a scintillating Twenty20 Cup final by three runs as Kent failed to hit a four off the last ball at the Rose Bowl on Saturday night.
It was Middlesex's first silverware for 15 years and they also booked their place in the Stanford Super Series and possibly the cash-laden Champions League in the autumn.
Man of the match Owais Shah's superb 75 off 35 balls, including five sixes, underpinned the Middlesex innings of a daunting 187-6. It was the highest score of a Twenty20 final ever, but Rob Key and Joe Denly's 89 stand in reply, and a 49 from Justin Kemp, ensured it went to the last over.
However, Tyron Henderson proved to be the Middlesex hero, conceding just one run off his final two deliveries to seal the trophy for the Lord's outfit.
You may also want to watch:
Full coverage of Middlesex's glory day is in this week's Ham&High, including Chris Silverwood's exclusive take from the dressing room and sports editor Pat Mooney's exclusive interviews with coach Toby Radford and captain Ed Joyce.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband