McCann reaches 600-game milestone but Hendon suffer two more defeats
- Credit: Archant
Gary McCann took charge of his 600th Hendon game on Saturday – but the Greens were defeated at Merstham and went on to suffer another loss at Enfield Town on Tuesday night.
McCann’s latest milestone with the Dons at the weekend proved to be a bittersweet one as they went down 1-0 away against Merstham in the Ryman League Premier Division, with Charlie Penny netting in stoppage-time.
Hendon’s day got even worse when it emerged that summer signing Mahrez Bettache, who went off injured, had broken his ankle – and things went from bad to worse as they suffered another defeat at Enfield Town three days later.
Corey Whiteley struck both goals for the home team, in the 45th and 89th minutes, and Dave Diedhiou was sent off late on.
Hendon, who contested last season’s play-off final, have now lost half of their 18 league games so far, leaving them 19th in the table.
You may also want to watch:
They host AFC Sudbury in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy on Saturday (3pm) and then entertain Farnborough in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Meanwhile, Wingate & Finchley’s 10-day break did them little good as they lost 3-1 at home against Hampton & Richmond on Tuesday evening.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
Brendan Kiernan gave the visitors the lead and, although Ahmet Rifat levelled with a header just before half-time, Charlie Moone and Kiernan struck in the second half.
Wingate host Royston Town in the FA Trophy on Saturday (3pm) and then have another home game against Grays Athletic in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm).