McCann reaches 600-game milestone but Hendon suffer two more defeats
- Credit: Archant
Gary McCann took charge of his 600th Hendon game on Saturday – but the Greens were defeated at Merstham and went on to suffer another loss at Enfield Town on Tuesday night.
McCann’s latest milestone with the Dons at the weekend proved to be a bittersweet one as they went down 1-0 away against Merstham in the Ryman League Premier Division, with Charlie Penny netting in stoppage-time.
Hendon’s day got even worse when it emerged that summer signing Mahrez Bettache, who went off injured, had broken his ankle – and things went from bad to worse as they suffered another defeat at Enfield Town three days later.
Corey Whiteley struck both goals for the home team, in the 45th and 89th minutes, and Dave Diedhiou was sent off late on.
Hendon, who contested last season’s play-off final, have now lost half of their 18 league games so far, leaving them 19th in the table.
They host AFC Sudbury in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy on Saturday (3pm) and then entertain Farnborough in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Meanwhile, Wingate & Finchley’s 10-day break did them little good as they lost 3-1 at home against Hampton & Richmond on Tuesday evening.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 3 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 4 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 7 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 8 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 9 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 10 Hornsey Exchange opening first step in bringing town hall 'back to life'
Brendan Kiernan gave the visitors the lead and, although Ahmet Rifat levelled with a header just before half-time, Charlie Moone and Kiernan struck in the second half.
Wingate host Royston Town in the FA Trophy on Saturday (3pm) and then have another home game against Grays Athletic in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm).