Finchley’s Mbata makes mark at Women’s Winter Box Cup
- Credit: Archant
Finchley’s Patricia Mbata produced the quickest finish on finals day at the England Boxing Women’s Winter Box Cup in Guildford Spectrum.
Mbata met Andrea Marshall (Royal Navy) in the Elite C 69kg decider and proved far too powerful, catching her opponent early to end the contest in the first round.
Having beaten Jess David (Dyanamics) in her semi-final, Mbata was named the tournament's most promising elite boxer and said: "I wasn't expecting my bout to end that quickly, but I'm delighted to have won.
"All my training has paid off and I boxed to my game plan and I was not going to be denied. I was just too psyched and determined to win!
"The Women's Winter Box Cup is a great platform for women and girls who are boxing at all levels to perform on."
You may also want to watch:
Haringey's Colleen Roach was also celebrating after beating Sharna Hitchings (Brighton & Hove ABC) on unanimous points in the Elite B 57kg final.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale