Finchley’s Mbata makes mark at Women’s Winter Box Cup
- Credit: Archant
Finchley’s Patricia Mbata produced the quickest finish on finals day at the England Boxing Women’s Winter Box Cup in Guildford Spectrum.
Mbata met Andrea Marshall (Royal Navy) in the Elite C 69kg decider and proved far too powerful, catching her opponent early to end the contest in the first round.
Having beaten Jess David (Dyanamics) in her semi-final, Mbata was named the tournament's most promising elite boxer and said: "I wasn't expecting my bout to end that quickly, but I'm delighted to have won.
"All my training has paid off and I boxed to my game plan and I was not going to be denied. I was just too psyched and determined to win!
"The Women's Winter Box Cup is a great platform for women and girls who are boxing at all levels to perform on."
You may also want to watch:
Haringey's Colleen Roach was also celebrating after beating Sharna Hitchings (Brighton & Hove ABC) on unanimous points in the Elite B 57kg final.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 7 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 8 Tim Burton's former Primrose Hill home on the market for £20m
- 9 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 10 'Now we hope for the best' – independent traders in Muswell Hill