Borough claim bragging rights with thrashing over 10-man Wingate
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Wingate & Finchley 0 Haringey Borough 4
Bostik Premier leaders Haringey Borough started 2019 with a bang after they won 4-0 away to local club Wingate & Finchley on New Year’s Day.
It was the first meeting between the teams and eventually the side at the summit got the better of the outfit near the bottom.
After an even start, a moment of controversy occurred in the 26th minute when Layne Eadie was given his marching orders.
The former St Albans wide-man caught Haringey captain David Olufemi late and was shown a red card as a result.
You may also want to watch:
And three minutes later the visitors made their numerical advantage count as Rakim Richards fired home after Mark Kirby challenged for a free kick into the area.
It remained just 1-0 at the break, but on the hour mark Borough extended their lead when Olufemi’s cross was headed home by Anthony McDonald.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
Five minutes later and Olu Durojaiye made it 3-0 with a superb strike from range after a Charley Barker lay-off.
There was still time for one more goal as Kirby got on the end of a cross with 88 on the clock to wrap up the scoring and keep Haringey top while Wingate remain 18th.