Borough claim bragging rights with thrashing over 10-man Wingate
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Wingate & Finchley 0 Haringey Borough 4
Bostik Premier leaders Haringey Borough started 2019 with a bang after they won 4-0 away to local club Wingate & Finchley on New Year’s Day.
It was the first meeting between the teams and eventually the side at the summit got the better of the outfit near the bottom.
After an even start, a moment of controversy occurred in the 26th minute when Layne Eadie was given his marching orders.
The former St Albans wide-man caught Haringey captain David Olufemi late and was shown a red card as a result.
You may also want to watch:
And three minutes later the visitors made their numerical advantage count as Rakim Richards fired home after Mark Kirby challenged for a free kick into the area.
It remained just 1-0 at the break, but on the hour mark Borough extended their lead when Olufemi’s cross was headed home by Anthony McDonald.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
Five minutes later and Olu Durojaiye made it 3-0 with a superb strike from range after a Charley Barker lay-off.
There was still time for one more goal as Kirby got on the end of a cross with 88 on the clock to wrap up the scoring and keep Haringey top while Wingate remain 18th.