Albion edge five-goal thriller to mark Mel’s anniversary with win
- Credit: Archant
Barnet Sunday League Division Three: North London Colts 2 Highgate Albion thirds 3
Highgate Albion’s third-team paid tribute to Melanie McCarthy McNamara with a 3-2 win away to North London Cots in the Barnet Sunday League Division Three last weekend.
Both players observed a minute’s silence before the clash in loving memory of Mel, who was tragically taken seven years ago on February 8 2012.
The visitors wore black armbands in tribute to Mel too whilst her uncles John and Shane took to the field with John captaining the side.
It was Queens Crescent resident Daniel Glaude who opened the scoring with a low driven free kick from the edge of the area.
You may also want to watch:
Luke Morgan, also of Queens Crescent, then doubled the lead shortly before half time with a clinical finish after beating two players.
Colts immediately responded, however, by winning a penalty, which they converted moments later.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
Albion allowed Colts back into the game midway through the second half when they equalised to set up a dramatic finale.
It was down to Hornsey local Anthoney Dalton to be the hero for Highgate, though, with a thunderous finish from the edge of the area, which is without doubt a goal of the season contender.
John Eager’s men remain second, four points behind leaders Zenit St Whetsone Reserves, with 10 league games left and everything to play for heading towards the final few months of the season.
Highgate Albion third-team: Staniforth, S.McNamara, Deeney, Bryan, Dowsett, King, Glaude, J.McNamara, Dalton, Callaghan, Morgan.