No FA Cup hangover for Borough after high-flying Angels have wings clipped
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Haringey Borough 4 Tonbridge Angels 0
Haringey Borough bounced back from their FA Cup exit to AFC Wimbledon on Friday to thrash Tonbridge Angels 4-0 in the Bostik Premier on Monday night.
While Tom Loizou’s men had enjoyed huge success in the FA Cup, they had not won in the division since September 29 away to Margate.
Given Angels’ form this season, and with them sitting second in the table, a difficult encounter was predicted at Coles Park, but Borough showed their class.
Days after losing 1-0 at home to the Dons in front of 2,710 spectators, Loizou stuck with largely the same group who impressed against League One opposition on the BBC Two cameras.
Scott Mitchell, Coby Rowe, Jorge Djassi-Sambu and Chinedu McKenzie come into the starting XI, but it was one of Friday’s FA Cup heroes who rewarded their manager after 22 minutes.
A free kick was only half cleared by the visitors and defender Rakim Richards was first to the loose ball and rifled home from the edge of the area to make it 1-0.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 6 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 9 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 10 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
No more goals occurred before the break, but close to the hour mark the home side doubled their advantage.
Rowe, one of the players who didn’t start against Wimbledon, headed in at the back post from a corner to make it 2-0 with 59 played.
Tonbridge pushed for a way back into the contest, but were picked off by Borough in the final exchanges.
In the 84th minute Rowe doubled his tally for the night with a terrific long-range hit to make it 3-0 to the hosts in front of an excellent crowd of 260.
There was still time for one last strike as substitute Georgios Aresti did well down the right and fired home to conclude a fantastic evening for Haringey.
After losing in heartbreaking fashion to the Dons on Friday, Loizou’s men showed no signs of an FA Cup hangover and will hope this impressive victory is the start of a lengthy winning run in the Bostik Premier.
Haringey Borough: Pajetet; Olufemi ©, Richards, Mitchell, O’Donoghue; Djassi-Sambu, Rowe; Ademiluyi (McDonald 88), Barker (Aresti 85), Nouble; McKenzie (Edwards 81).
Unused substitutes: Byfield, Kirby.