Haringey see unbeaten run end in controversial circumstances

Haringey Borough boss Tom Loizou shows his frustration on the touchline (pic: George Phillipou/TGS P

Haringey Borough boss Tom Loizou shows his frustration on the touchline (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo). - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

Bostik Premier: Haringey Borough 0 Harlow Town 2

Haringey Borough’s excellent recent run came to an end last night as they lost 2-0 at home to Harlow Town in the Bostik Premier.

It was a turn up for the form books as Tom Loizou’s team could have moved into the top-five with a victory.

The Hawks withheld an early storm and netted twice in the second half to take home the points, but the clash at Coles Park wasn’t without controversy.

A frantic start occurred in north London and it was the hosts who nearly went ahead inside quarter of an hour, but Georgios Aresti’s effort was wonderfully saved by Josh Bexon in the away goal.

Borough continued to press and Femi Akinwande should have scored when he was put through, but he drilled past the post.

The hosts maintained their stranglehold on the clash, but were nearly caught out when Nathan Koranteng saw two efforts go wide – the first via a deflection.

Most Read

It ensured it was goalless at the break and the Hawks goal continued to lead a charmed life after the restart and Michael Ademiluyi saw a shot cleared off the line close to the hour mark.

Slowly but surely Harlow began to grow into the game and almost opened the scoring via a corner, and then they were awarded a penalty in the 72nd minute following a foul by goalkeeper Valery Pajetet.

After some deliberation, Charlie Edwards stepped up and fired home to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Borough upped the ante now and drama occurred when they thought they had found an equaliser in the dying exchanges.

A free kick into the Harlow penalty area caused chaos and the ball appeared to be forced over the line, but the referee and linesman failed to award a goal.

Haringey were furious and their grievances were compounded when Jason Raad raced through on goal and smashed into the roof of the net with 90 on the clock to claim a 2-0 win.

It was a bitter pill to swallow for Loizou’s men, but the overall picture still looks good with the club sitting in the top half with 11 points from eight games.