Blues drop back into relegation zone after costly defeat
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Corinthian-Casuals 3 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley are back in the Bostik Premier relegation zone after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat away to Corinthian-Casuals.
Dave Norman’s team recently put together back-to-back wins to move clear of the bottom three, but have suffered three consecutive defeats since and are now back in trouble.
A slow start saw the Blues concede after 14 minutes away to Casuals with Majed Osman’s effort taking a big deflection off Sean Cronin and going past the helpless Shane Gore.
It was 2-0 with three minutes of the first half remaining when Warren Mfula fired into the net impressively to halt Wingate’s spirited fightback.
You may also want to watch:
After responding well to the opening goal of the game, the visitors now found themselves facing an uphill battle to take anything from the clash.
Norman’s team were handed a lifeline with 72 on the clock when Anthony Mendy scored his fifth goal in his last five games following good play by Charlie Ruff.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
It was not the start of a comeback though, as Osman grabbed his second two minutes later from 25-yards to secure Casuals an important 3-1 win and leave Wingate in 20th with only three games to go.