Blues drop back into relegation zone after costly defeat
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Corinthian-Casuals 3 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley are back in the Bostik Premier relegation zone after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat away to Corinthian-Casuals.
Dave Norman’s team recently put together back-to-back wins to move clear of the bottom three, but have suffered three consecutive defeats since and are now back in trouble.
A slow start saw the Blues concede after 14 minutes away to Casuals with Majed Osman’s effort taking a big deflection off Sean Cronin and going past the helpless Shane Gore.
It was 2-0 with three minutes of the first half remaining when Warren Mfula fired into the net impressively to halt Wingate’s spirited fightback.
You may also want to watch:
After responding well to the opening goal of the game, the visitors now found themselves facing an uphill battle to take anything from the clash.
Norman’s team were handed a lifeline with 72 on the clock when Anthony Mendy scored his fifth goal in his last five games following good play by Charlie Ruff.
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 4 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
It was not the start of a comeback though, as Osman grabbed his second two minutes later from 25-yards to secure Casuals an important 3-1 win and leave Wingate in 20th with only three games to go.