Borough pay penalty as Generals march on in FA Trophy
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
FA Trophy first qualifying round replay: Chesham United 2 Haringey Borough 2 (3-1 on penalties)
Haringey Borough’s journey in this season’s FA Trophy come to a disappointing end on Tuesday night after they lost on penalties at Chesham United in a first qualifying round replay.
After a 1-1 draw at Coles Park on Saturday, the two clubs renewed acquaintances in Buckinghamshire with £3,250 up for grabs to the winner.
Despite going down to 10-men in the first half, Borough produced a fine response, but in the end fell short of reaching the next round.
Chesham took the lead after only eight minutes when Dave Pearce, who also netted at the weekend, scored at the Meadow.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Loizou’s team hit back in fine fashion though, as Chinedu McKenzie levelled in the 29th minute with his eighth goal of the campaign.
Disaster struck for Haringey just before half time, however, when Femi Akinwande was shown a red card with 43 on the clock.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 3 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 4 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 7 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 8 Highgate primary praises new school street scheme restricting cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
It left the north Londoners facing a real uphill task after the break, but a wonder goal by Charley Barker put them back in front.
The ball dropped for the ex-Leyton Orient youth-team captain on the edge of the area and he rifled into the top corner with aplomb to make it 2-1 in the 77th minute.
Borough couldn’t hold on though, as Jerri Maja equalised with seven minutes of normal time left to force extra-time.
No further goals occurred, so penalties were required and the Generals progressed 3-1 on spot-kicks to reach the second qualifying round.
Haringey will look to regroup on Saturday when they visit Enfield Town in the Bostik Premier before hosting AFC Wimbledon on Friday, November 9 in the first round of the FA Cup.
Haringey Borough: Pajetet; Olufemi ©, Mitchell, Kirby, Rowe (Asamoah 109), O’Donoghue; Stone, Djassi-Sambu, Barker (Andic 89); McKenzie, Akinwande.
Unused substitutes: Byfield, Ademiluyi.