Borough pay penalty as Generals march on in FA Trophy
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
FA Trophy first qualifying round replay: Chesham United 2 Haringey Borough 2 (3-1 on penalties)
Haringey Borough’s journey in this season’s FA Trophy come to a disappointing end on Tuesday night after they lost on penalties at Chesham United in a first qualifying round replay.
After a 1-1 draw at Coles Park on Saturday, the two clubs renewed acquaintances in Buckinghamshire with £3,250 up for grabs to the winner.
Despite going down to 10-men in the first half, Borough produced a fine response, but in the end fell short of reaching the next round.
Chesham took the lead after only eight minutes when Dave Pearce, who also netted at the weekend, scored at the Meadow.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Loizou’s team hit back in fine fashion though, as Chinedu McKenzie levelled in the 29th minute with his eighth goal of the campaign.
Disaster struck for Haringey just before half time, however, when Femi Akinwande was shown a red card with 43 on the clock.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
It left the north Londoners facing a real uphill task after the break, but a wonder goal by Charley Barker put them back in front.
The ball dropped for the ex-Leyton Orient youth-team captain on the edge of the area and he rifled into the top corner with aplomb to make it 2-1 in the 77th minute.
Borough couldn’t hold on though, as Jerri Maja equalised with seven minutes of normal time left to force extra-time.
No further goals occurred, so penalties were required and the Generals progressed 3-1 on spot-kicks to reach the second qualifying round.
Haringey will look to regroup on Saturday when they visit Enfield Town in the Bostik Premier before hosting AFC Wimbledon on Friday, November 9 in the first round of the FA Cup.
Haringey Borough: Pajetet; Olufemi ©, Mitchell, Kirby, Rowe (Asamoah 109), O’Donoghue; Stone, Djassi-Sambu, Barker (Andic 89); McKenzie, Akinwande.
Unused substitutes: Byfield, Ademiluyi.