Blues handed heavy defeat on the road
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Bostik Premier: Carshalton Athletic 5 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley suffered a 5-1 thrashing away to Carshalton Athletic on Saturday in the Bostik Premier.
After producing a brave effort the weekend before in a 2-0 loss at home to Bognor Regis Town, Dave Norman’s men were looking for more of the same.
The play-off chasing Robins proved far too strong, however, and two first-half goals put them on the back foot and they never recovered.
Harry Ottaway opened the scoring for Carshalton in the 25th minute and the crucial second goal arrived on the stroke of half time through Ricky Korboa to make it 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
It was three with 63 on the clock when Shane Gore made a fine save to deny Robins, but the ball rebounded off Alieu Njie and into the net.
Wingate did find an immediate response with Anthony Mendy tapping home at the back post following Charlie Cole’s cross.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 9 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
That was as good as it would get for the Blues though, Korboa completed his hat-trick with two more efforts during the final 20 minutes.
It leaves Blues in a nervy position with four league games left and although they are out of the relegation zone, Burgess Hill Town in 20th only trail them by two points.