Borough exit Velocity Trophy after defeat away to Bowers
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy first round: Bowers & Pitsea 3 Haringey Borough 1
Haringey Borough failed to build on an early goal in their 3-1 loss away to Bowers & Pitsea in the first round of the Velocity Trophy last night.
Tom Loizou made nine changes from the side which saw off AFC Sudbury in the FA Cup on Saturday and saw the hosts fight back to secure a spot in the next round.
Visiting Borough took the lead after only 10 minutes when Michael Ademiluyi, one of two players who started at the weekend, found the net to make it 1-0 to the away side at the Len Salmon Stadium.
Rob Smalls’ Bowers, who also changed things about, equalised just five minutes later when Quentin Monville fired past Haringey deputy goalkeeper Austin Byfield.
You may also want to watch:
It was 2-1 to the home side 11 minutes later when Max Cornhill found the net and it remained that way until half time.
Boss Loizou replaced Ali Setirekli with Jack Price at the break, but saw Cornhill grab a second on the hour mark to put Bowers in control.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
Callum Ismael was introduced for Andreas Loizou with 63 on the clock, but the away side couldn’t force a comeback and exited the competition.
Haringey’s loss prevents them setting up a second round home tie with local side Wingate & Finchley.
Next up for Loizou’s Borough is a Bostik Premier encounter away to Burgess Hill Town this weekend.
Haringey Borough: Byfield; Loizou (Ismael 63), Kirby, Rowe, Gomes Sanha; Sanderson, Barker, Andic; Setirekli (Price 46), Ademiluyi, Carvalho.
Unused substitutes: Pajetet, Mitchell, Aresti.