Borough exit Velocity Trophy after defeat away to Bowers
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy first round: Bowers & Pitsea 3 Haringey Borough 1
Haringey Borough failed to build on an early goal in their 3-1 loss away to Bowers & Pitsea in the first round of the Velocity Trophy last night.
Tom Loizou made nine changes from the side which saw off AFC Sudbury in the FA Cup on Saturday and saw the hosts fight back to secure a spot in the next round.
Visiting Borough took the lead after only 10 minutes when Michael Ademiluyi, one of two players who started at the weekend, found the net to make it 1-0 to the away side at the Len Salmon Stadium.
Rob Smalls’ Bowers, who also changed things about, equalised just five minutes later when Quentin Monville fired past Haringey deputy goalkeeper Austin Byfield.
You may also want to watch:
It was 2-1 to the home side 11 minutes later when Max Cornhill found the net and it remained that way until half time.
Boss Loizou replaced Ali Setirekli with Jack Price at the break, but saw Cornhill grab a second on the hour mark to put Bowers in control.
- 1 'Nazanin needs her passport back on Sunday' – Tulip Siddiq MP
- 2 Jail for weapons supplier found with guns, grenades and zombie knives
- 3 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 4 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 5 Morrisons opens replacement store in Chalk Farm
- 6 Humans must take action if our species is to survive
- 7 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 8 UCS Hampstead pupils launch podcast to help GCSE history revision
- 9 Meet some of Hampstead Heath's furriest and feistiest canine visitors
- 10 Hampstead Heath: Does an increase in visitors mean fewer birds?
Callum Ismael was introduced for Andreas Loizou with 63 on the clock, but the away side couldn’t force a comeback and exited the competition.
Haringey’s loss prevents them setting up a second round home tie with local side Wingate & Finchley.
Next up for Loizou’s Borough is a Bostik Premier encounter away to Burgess Hill Town this weekend.
Haringey Borough: Byfield; Loizou (Ismael 63), Kirby, Rowe, Gomes Sanha; Sanderson, Barker, Andic; Setirekli (Price 46), Ademiluyi, Carvalho.
Unused substitutes: Pajetet, Mitchell, Aresti.