Marylebone Boys enjoy Schools’ Hockey Festival
- Credit: Ady Kerry
Pupils from Marylebone Boys School competed in Lee Valley Regional Park Authority’s fourth annual Schools’ Hockey Festival at the Olympic Park.
The youngsters participated in various activities, spending the first part of their morning in training practising key technical skills whilst learning the rules of the game under the expert guidance of the venue’s resident hockey coaches.
Following a brief rest break, the energetic students took to the bright blue, Olympic standard hockey pitches – which saw international action this summer from England Hockey’s men’s and women’s teams during the Investec Internationals and Hero Hockey World League Semi-Finals London – for the first of six, 15-minute games competing against schools from across London and Essex.
The action-packed day came to a close with the announcement of the winning team – Saffron Walden County High School from Uttlesford in Essex – who were presented with a trophy.
Shaun Dawson, chief executive at Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, said: “In the five years since the 2012 Games, I’m delighted to see our staff and venues continuing to contribute to the Olympic legacy, facilitating activities such as today’s Hockey Schools Festival – the fourth hockey festival since the venue opened in 2014 - for young people across the region.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that our programme will have inspired young people to take up and excel at sports such as hockey and even be the first taste of hockey for what could be future international players.”
Founded in 2011, the Schools Festival programme gives young people across London, Essex and Hertfordshire the chance to enjoy sport in the three inspirational London 2012 legacy venues which Lee Valley Regional Park Authority owns.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
The two-day Hockey Schools Festival is funded by Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, of which celebrates its landmark 50th anniversary this year.