Magnificent seven for Haringey Aquatics
- Credit: Archant
Club enjoy best-ever haul at London Youth Championships
Haringey Aquatics youngsters combined to win a best-ever haul of seven medals at the London Youth Championships in their 70-year history.
Tottenham’s Shakil Giordani won four gold medals in the 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 50m butterfly and 50m backstroke to become the first swimmer in club history to win multiple regional titles in the sprint discipliens.
Renat Samur took silver in the 50m butterfly, while Alex Vonckx picked up bronze in the 200m medley and Kelton Ryland won bronze in the 200m breaststroke.
Head coach Paul Doyle said: “This is a record-breaking performance for us at Regionals and puts Haringey Aquatics squarely on the national swimming map.
“I have to thank all swimmers and staff who had two closures two years ago, but beat all the odds to deliver this level of results.
“This success is something we want to share with more borough residents and is why we are campaigning for a new pool in Wood Green.”
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 7 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 8 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 9 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 10 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
Haringey Aquatics and other youth and sports clubs are backing a petition submitted on April 28 to build a new leisure centre in Wood Green.
The last pool closed in 1997 and the club has delivered teaching and coaching to an estimated 25,000 Haringey youth and adults since its inception.
For more information about Haringey Aquatics or the petition, visit haringeyaquatics.org.uk.