Lord’s set to push the boundary with plans to redevelop famous Compton and Edrich stands sent to council
- Credit: WilkinsonEyre
The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has submitted its planning application to Westminster City Council to redevelop the historic Compton and Edrich stands at Lord’s Cricket Ground.
The plans, originally revealed in June, will see the new three-tier stands designed by Stirling Prize winning architect WilkinsonEyre. They will increase the capacity of the two stands at the spiritual home of English cricket by 2,500 to 11,500.
There will also be a connecting walkway overlooking the adjacent nursery ground.
The stands are named after the late post-war Middlesex batting pair, Dennis Compton and Bill Edrich. The replacements will keep their names.
As part of the work, the structures will be completely demolished, with replacements built in their place. Planning documents reveal the Clock Tower will also be knocked down. Historic England has said it is not concerned by the loss.
You may also want to watch:
The plans also feature shops, hospitality, bar and food concession areas.
A decision is expected in the new year. If the council gives its approval, plans will go to MCC members at the club’s AGM in May.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 4 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 5 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 10 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
Work will then begin after the Australia test in 2019, with aims of having the new stands ready for the 2020 season.
The Marylebone Cricket Club has been based at the ground in St John’s Wood since 1814, when the ground moved to its present site. Lord’s has also played host to Middlesex County Cricket Club since 1877.
Speaking when the plans were originally unveiled in June, MCC chief exec and secretary Guy Lavender said: “MCC is committed to ensuring Lord’s remains the best place in the world at which to watch and play cricket. These new stands will transform the Nursery End, providing world-class facilities, opening up views both to the pavilion and back towards the Nursery Ground, and adding another architectural enhancement to Lord’s.
“As well as providing a significant improvement to capacity and facilities, the plans for the new Compton and Edrich stands complement beautifully the J.P. Morgan Media Centre, which was designed by Future Systems and is itself an award-winning building, well known to anyone who has watched cricket at Lord’s.”