London Skolars 30 West Wales Raiders 10: Skolars secure success in final pre-season friendly
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pre-season friendly: London Skolars 30 West Wales Raiders 10
London Skolars had a fine end to their pre-season campaign with a 30-10 victory over fellow Betfred League One side West Wales Raiders in their last friendly before the new term.
The match was played at the Trailfinders Sports Ground ahead of London Broncos’ Betfred Championship clash at home to Barrow.
With two weeks before the start of the season, Skolars coach Jermaine Coleman used the game to look over a number of youngsters that had missed out in the first two pre-season friendlies.
However, it was an experienced player that caught the eye early in the game, with Neil Thorman returning to the club after a six-year absence.
The 32-year-old set up London’s first two tries, first pushing a long pass out to Jerome Yates, who broke the defence before cutting inside and offloading to Phil Lyon to open the scoring.
Soon after, Thorman moved the ball out to the other wing, this time opening a gap for Omari Caro to stroll over.
- 1 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 2 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 3 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 8 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 9 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 10 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
Raiders then had a period of attack that led to prop Morgan Evans breaking through the defence.
Skipper Louis Robinson scored Skolars’ third try before half-time and the capital club extended their lead early in the second half.
Caro slipped the ball out to Seb Kolasa on the wing to cross, but the subsequent conversion from the former hit the posts.
Charlie and Alfie Lawrence combined to release Jordan Williams, who scored down the left for London.
Charlie Lawrence added his name to the scoresheet soon after, taking a return pass from Robinson.
After a long stoppage for West Wales’ Mark Asquith to be stretchered off with a dislocated knee-cap, Evans added his second try of the match for Raiders.
Skolars went close twice in the last few minutes with Caro being pushed into touch in-goal, before Lamont Bryan was held up over the line as London were unable to add to score.
It was a superb end to the pre-season matches for Skolars, who begin the new Betfred League One season on February 18 when they make the trip to tackle North Wales Crusaders.