London Skolars 26 Workington Town 42: Skolars still on lookout for first win of Betfred League One season
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Betfred League One: London Skolars 26 Workington Town 42
London Skolars suffered a 42-26 defeat at home to Workington Town in Betfred League One, despite leading for a large part of the game.
Skolars went behind inside two minutes when Jordan Tansey and Jamie Foster broke down the left for Jamie Doran to finish the move.
With some determined tackling, London kept the Workington pack out and against the run of play, Jy-Mel Coleman forced his way over the tryline, with Neil Thorman converting.
Skolars had a man advantage for ten minutes after Stevie Scholey was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle.
You may also want to watch:
London took full advantage, with Elliot Hall racing onto Coleman’s kick into the in-goal area to score out wide.
An error at the kick-off gifted Town possession from the kick-off and Skolars had to defend again.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 9 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
A crossfield kick and a strong chase saw Town’s winger bundled into touch and Skolars went further ahead when Charlie Lawrence reached out of tackle to touchdown.
Another mistake at the next kick-off proved costly this time as Workington’s Sean Penkywicz burrowed over the tryline.
Three minutes later, the visitors took a two-point lead, with Sam Forrester going in at the corner and Foster kicking his third conversion after the half-time hooter had sounded.
London regained the lead soon after the restart when Vinny Finigan intercepted a Town pass and raced 70 metres to score on debut for his new club.
Lawrence scored his second try three minutes later when he ran towards what looked to be a solid line of defence, but again just managed to reach out to touchdown.
A series of penalties saw Skolars on the backfoot and Workington took control of the game, scoring twice in three minutes with Doran and Forrester both scoring their second tries of the afternoon.
Doran helped extend the lead when his grubber kick bounced up nicely for Kurt Maulding to catch and ground.
Town scored again soon after when James Newton crossed, leaving Skolars still chasing their first win of the season.