London Haringey Racers start 2016 in style with two victories and 20 goals

PUBLISHED: 19:31 05 January 2016 | UPDATED: 19:31 05 January 2016

Solomon Smith (left) scores his first goal for Haringey against Invicta Mustangs

Solomon Smith (left) scores his first goal for Haringey against Invicta Mustangs


London Haringey Racers began the new year in style, scoring 20 goals to win two league games in two days and move up to third place in NIHL South Two East.

Josh Ealey-Newman and Josh Abbott both scored four times in a 13-3 victory over Invicta Mustangs at Alexandra Palace on Saturday, while Chris Norris netted on his debut and Solomon Smith and Jack Ball struck their first senior goals for the club.

The Racers then triumphed 7-4 at Lee Valley on Sunday, with Abbott hitting a brace and Drew Campbell also registering twice.

The four points gained took Haringey above Slough Jets, who they will now face in back-to-back clashes – first away and then at home – on Saturday and Sunday.

It took Norris just eight minutes to open his account for the Racers on Saturday, stuffing the puck home after good work by Ben Osborne.

Ealey-Newman made it 2-0 late in the first period after Abbott had won the puck off the draw and, although Aaron Ferris briefly halved the deficit early in the second, the Racers were soon back on top.

Campbell played Ealey-Newman in to beat Mustangs netminder Jussi Lynch Grut and Abbott drifted inside to find the top corner before Dan Clayton made it 5-1 and Ealey-Newman completed his hat-trick.

Goals from Campbell and Abbott extended Haringey’s advantage to 8-1 in the third period before Smith slammed the puck home for his maiden goal.

Ball and Ealey-Newman added further goals, while Abbott netted two more of his own, dotted around consolation efforts from Ferris and Jake Stedman for Invicta.

The Racers maintained their momentum at Lee Valley, with Matt Brown firing them in front and Abbott setting up Campbell to make it 2-0 with some nifty stick work.

The home side capitalised on two Haringey penalties to level through Harry Aitken and Matthew Eggan and, although Ealey-Newman restored the Racers’ lead, Eggen and Robin Young put Lee Valley 4-3 up.

However, Haringey fought back to lead 6-4 through Campbell and a brace from Abbott, and they stifled the Lions in the third period before Lee Mercer struck a final goal late on.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists