Wingate & Finchley end eight game winless run at Lewes
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Lewes 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley ended an eight game winless run in the league as they sealed a 2-1 victory over Lewes.
Goals from Charlie Ruff and Henry Ochieng sealed the three points for Spencer Knight's team despite a late fight back from the hosts at The Dripping Pan.
Boss Knight added a new signing in striker Alex Read to bolster their options in attack ahead of the clash.
The visitors got themselves off to a dream start as Charlie Ruff raced forward and fired an effort into the bottom left corner to give them a lead three minutes into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder Henry Ochieng then doubled their lead in the 32nd minute as he headed home a cross at the back post.
They took the 2-0 lead into the half-time break but Lewes did claw one back in the 62nd minute thanks to Charlie Coppola.
- 1 Lockdown easing 'super positive' for West Hampstead shops
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 3 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 6 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 7 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 Highgate primary praises new school street scheme restricting cars
Lewes searched for an equaliser but Wingate held firm and picked up a much-needed victory to pull them out of the relegation zone.
Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Dawson, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Malins, Mongoy, Diedrick-Roberts, Gregory (Golding 55), Onovwigun (Freeman 7, Ilic 55), Coppola.
Unused subs: Gifford and Popham.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, O'Keefe, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Ruff (Tejan-Sie 63), Oluwatimilehin, Akisanya, Read (Kennedy 63), Ochieng.
Unused subs: Fleming, Dupray, Platt.