Wingate & Finchley end eight game winless run at Lewes
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Lewes 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley ended an eight game winless run in the league as they sealed a 2-1 victory over Lewes.
Goals from Charlie Ruff and Henry Ochieng sealed the three points for Spencer Knight's team despite a late fight back from the hosts at The Dripping Pan.
Boss Knight added a new signing in striker Alex Read to bolster their options in attack ahead of the clash.
The visitors got themselves off to a dream start as Charlie Ruff raced forward and fired an effort into the bottom left corner to give them a lead three minutes into the game.
Midfielder Henry Ochieng then doubled their lead in the 32nd minute as he headed home a cross at the back post.
They took the 2-0 lead into the half-time break but Lewes did claw one back in the 62nd minute thanks to Charlie Coppola.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet
- 3 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 4 'Unacceptable': Highgate fears over TfL bus changes
- 5 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 6 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 7 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 8 Masked-up Boris Johnson poses for selfies at Wood Green care centre
- 9 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 10 Haringey first council to call for Edmonton incinerator pause
Lewes searched for an equaliser but Wingate held firm and picked up a much-needed victory to pull them out of the relegation zone.
Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Dawson, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Malins, Mongoy, Diedrick-Roberts, Gregory (Golding 55), Onovwigun (Freeman 7, Ilic 55), Coppola.
Unused subs: Gifford and Popham.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, O'Keefe, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Ruff (Tejan-Sie 63), Oluwatimilehin, Akisanya, Read (Kennedy 63), Ochieng.
Unused subs: Fleming, Dupray, Platt.