Wingate & Finchley end eight game winless run at Lewes
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Lewes 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley ended an eight game winless run in the league as they sealed a 2-1 victory over Lewes.
Goals from Charlie Ruff and Henry Ochieng sealed the three points for Spencer Knight's team despite a late fight back from the hosts at The Dripping Pan.
Boss Knight added a new signing in striker Alex Read to bolster their options in attack ahead of the clash.
The visitors got themselves off to a dream start as Charlie Ruff raced forward and fired an effort into the bottom left corner to give them a lead three minutes into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder Henry Ochieng then doubled their lead in the 32nd minute as he headed home a cross at the back post.
They took the 2-0 lead into the half-time break but Lewes did claw one back in the 62nd minute thanks to Charlie Coppola.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
Lewes searched for an equaliser but Wingate held firm and picked up a much-needed victory to pull them out of the relegation zone.
Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Dawson, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Malins, Mongoy, Diedrick-Roberts, Gregory (Golding 55), Onovwigun (Freeman 7, Ilic 55), Coppola.
Unused subs: Gifford and Popham.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, O'Keefe, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Ruff (Tejan-Sie 63), Oluwatimilehin, Akisanya, Read (Kennedy 63), Ochieng.
Unused subs: Fleming, Dupray, Platt.