Wingate & Finchley end eight game winless run at Lewes
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Lewes 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley ended an eight game winless run in the league as they sealed a 2-1 victory over Lewes.
Goals from Charlie Ruff and Henry Ochieng sealed the three points for Spencer Knight's team despite a late fight back from the hosts at The Dripping Pan.
Boss Knight added a new signing in striker Alex Read to bolster their options in attack ahead of the clash.
The visitors got themselves off to a dream start as Charlie Ruff raced forward and fired an effort into the bottom left corner to give them a lead three minutes into the game.
Midfielder Henry Ochieng then doubled their lead in the 32nd minute as he headed home a cross at the back post.
They took the 2-0 lead into the half-time break but Lewes did claw one back in the 62nd minute thanks to Charlie Coppola.
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 3 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 7 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 8 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 9 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 10 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
Lewes searched for an equaliser but Wingate held firm and picked up a much-needed victory to pull them out of the relegation zone.
Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Dawson, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Malins, Mongoy, Diedrick-Roberts, Gregory (Golding 55), Onovwigun (Freeman 7, Ilic 55), Coppola.
Unused subs: Gifford and Popham.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, O'Keefe, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Ruff (Tejan-Sie 63), Oluwatimilehin, Akisanya, Read (Kennedy 63), Ochieng.
Unused subs: Fleming, Dupray, Platt.