Lax West Hampstead let Banbury close the gap
A sloppy second half goal cost West Hampstead the chance of a hard-earned draw on Saturday in their first Southern League game back after the Christmas break. Despite the arrival of two new players over the festive period, West were sunk by
A sloppy second half goal cost West Hampstead the chance of a hard-earned draw on Saturday in their first Southern League game back after the Christmas break.
Despite the arrival of two new players over the festive period, West were sunk by a strike 10 minutes from time after leaving an opponent completely unmarked in the D.
Timur Asar earlier had a one-on-one saved by the keeper, while Stuart Raper somehow missed the target when new-boy Dave Leech's shot rebounded back off a post.
"The two teams were of a similar standard but we missed clean chances and let in a weak goal," said captain Adam Ross. "It should have been a draw.
You may also want to watch:
"The new guys did very well - Dave Leech has come down from Warwick and he's a very good addition to our front-line.
"We also had Matt Evans at left back who used to play for Perth."
- 1 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 2 Camden Town Brewery's new Bavarian Beer Hall opens in Kentish Town
- 3 What Paulo Fonseca means for Tottenham Hotspur?
- 4 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 5 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside of Hornsey block
- 6 Quality Indian take-away fresh from Crouch End's 'Bazaar'
- 7 Home of the Week: Four bedroom maisonette with period features for sale in Belsize Park
- 8 New headteachers at Harris Academy St John's Wood and Camden School for Girls
- 9 81-year-old paints her way to fourth book since lockdown
- 10 Former England star Nick Compton visits North London Cricket Club
West Hampstead remain fifth in the league, though Banbury are closing the gap on them after picking up the points
West lie six points behind the top two and face Tulse Hill at Dulwich tomorrow.
West Hampstead squad: Braithwaite, Dru, Ross, Hartley, Evans, Alfrey, Rylatt, Murphy, Green, Asar, Parker, Leech, Raper, Butler.