Lax West Hampstead let Banbury close the gap
A sloppy second half goal cost West Hampstead the chance of a hard-earned draw on Saturday in their first Southern League game back after the Christmas break. Despite the arrival of two new players over the festive period, West were sunk by
A sloppy second half goal cost West Hampstead the chance of a hard-earned draw on Saturday in their first Southern League game back after the Christmas break.
Despite the arrival of two new players over the festive period, West were sunk by a strike 10 minutes from time after leaving an opponent completely unmarked in the D.
Timur Asar earlier had a one-on-one saved by the keeper, while Stuart Raper somehow missed the target when new-boy Dave Leech's shot rebounded back off a post.
"The two teams were of a similar standard but we missed clean chances and let in a weak goal," said captain Adam Ross. "It should have been a draw.
You may also want to watch:
"The new guys did very well - Dave Leech has come down from Warwick and he's a very good addition to our front-line.
"We also had Matt Evans at left back who used to play for Perth."
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 8 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
West Hampstead remain fifth in the league, though Banbury are closing the gap on them after picking up the points
West lie six points behind the top two and face Tulse Hill at Dulwich tomorrow.
West Hampstead squad: Braithwaite, Dru, Ross, Hartley, Evans, Alfrey, Rylatt, Murphy, Green, Asar, Parker, Leech, Raper, Butler.