Last-minute penalty condemns UCS Old Boys to defeat against Saracens Amateurs

Lloyd Hughes scored a first-half try, which he converted himself. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Lloyd Hughes scored a first-half try, which he converted himself. Pic: Paolo Minoli - Credit: Archant

UCS Old Boys suffered a late defeat to Saracens Amateurs, who scored a decisive penalty with the final kick to run out 17-14 winners in Saturday’s Herts/Middlesex Division One clash.

Saracens had home advantage and went 5-0 up with a try, but UCS hit back as Lloyd Hughes touched down and added the conversion.

The hosts regained the upper hand going into the break, moving 11-7 ahead after two penalties, but the lead changed hands again as the Old Boys forced a penalty try – which was converted – and established a 14-11 advantage.

However, Saracens’ full-back kicked a 45m drop goal to equalise and, although UCS defended manfully in the final minutes, they conceded a penalty in the final play and Saracens grabbed a last-ditch victory.

Elsewhere in Division One, Hendon were awarded an away win against Hillingdon Abbots, who did not have enough registered players.

The two sides played a friendly and Hendon won 61-15, with Chris Kiyingy scoring four tries – two for each team.

Meanwhile, in Division Two, Haringey Rhinos kicked off their campaign with a convincing bonus-point victory, scoring six tries and keeping a clean sheet.

Most Read

Gareth Kirk touched down twice in the first half and Hugo Murray, Charlie Rigg, Matt Peterson and Israel Lawson also crossed the whitewash, while Dan Rycroft kicked a penalty and three conversions.

Rycroft put Haringey ahead early on and Murray scored a converted try, while Kirk got over the line twice in succession to leave Haringey in command at the break.

Kirk was sin-binned after the interval but the Rhinos’ defence held firm and they extended their lead as Rigg set up a try for Peterson before going over himself.

Murray was also shown a yellow card but Mill Hill were still unable to find a way through. Instead, Rigg freed substitute Lawson, who ran 30 metres to complete the scoring.